April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Smilecentaur

Reaction score
I recently adopted some rummynose tetras but they seem to be missing their back most fin and parts of their other fins as if they were in a tank with something that didn't like them. What is the fastest way to help them regrow their fin?

Attachments

• 20200624_111221.jpg
    20200624_111221.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 101
Were they like this when you got them, or have their fins disappeared since you acquired them? This will help you/us determine likely reasons. Are they on their own now, or in a tank with other fish?

Were they like this when you got them, or have their fins disappeared since you acquired them?
They were like this when I got them and I didn't notice the fins till I got home. They were surrendered at a local petco.

They were like this when I got them and I didn't notice the fins till I got home. They were surrendered at a local petco.
Might be fin nipping.

Preform large daily water changes until things improve. (50% or more per day)

Fish regrow fish faster than you would think. :)

OK. So there is probably no issue in your tank, that narrows it down. Water changes are the best remedy. The fish will be healthier and better able to re-grow fins in clean water. And with no stress which weakens them. If this was due to fin nipping, which seems likely given their return to the store, the fins may re-grow. If it was/is a disease, hard to say. But it is never a good idea to jump to conclusions and starting adding substances, clean water is a great benefit and healer.

The tank in the photo has no substrate, is this your tank, or the store tank? This is important because bacteria on bare floor tanks can cause issues for fish, preventable with a substrate.

OK. So there is probably no issue in your tank, that narrows it down. Water changes are the best remedy. The fish will be healthier and better able to re-grow fins in clean water. And with no stress which weakens them. If this was due to fin nipping, which seems likely given their return to the store, the fins may re-grow. If it was/is a disease, hard to say. But it is never a good idea to jump to conclusions and starting adding substances, clean water is a great benefit and healer.

The tank in the photo has no substrate, is this your tank, or the store tank? This is important because bacteria on bare floor tanks can cause issues for fish, preventable with a substrate.
Adding to what you said: Fin nipping can sometimes be caused by there not being enough tetras in the school.

How many Rummynose Tetras do you have?

Adding to what you said: Fin nipping can sometimes be caused by there not being enough tetras in the school.

How many Rummynose Tetras do you have?
I have 3 total right now, I was planning on getting more when they become available at my local pet store.

This is supposed to be my quarantine tank, what kind of substrate would be best? I have both gravel and sand I could put in there.

This is supposed to be my quarantine tank, what kind of substrate would be best? I have both gravel and sand I could put in there.

Sand would be best, provided it is inert. Some sand is made for marine tanks and will contain minerals. I know some people do not use a substrate in a QT, and I understand the thinking, but the truth is that it does make the fish's lives more difficult, and with new fish reducing stress, not adding it, is preferable. If the sand is inert, just a sprinkling, maybe half an inch deep (2 cm).

Some floating plants also help. They take up ammonia and other things, and provide shade, which helps settle new fish.

Sand would be best, provided it is inert. Some sand is made for marine tanks and will contain minerals. I know some people do not use a substrate in a QT, and I understand the thinking, but the truth is that it does make the fish's lives more difficult, and with new fish reducing stress, not adding it, is preferable. If the sand is inert, just a sprinkling, maybe half an inch deep (2 cm).

Some floating plants also help. They take up ammonia and other things, and provide shade, which helps settle new fish.
I added the floating plants and the sand substrate, do you have any other suggestions other than changing the water every day?

I added the floating plants and the sand substrate, do you have any other suggestions other than changing the water every day?

Just like when people get sick...rest and quiet. The water change is OK, I don't normally do this daily with new fish in my planted QT, but here we have fish with an obvious issue, and clean water is still the best medicine.

Just like when people get sick...rest and quiet. The water change is OK, I don't normally do this daily with new fish in my planted QT, but here we have fish with an obvious issue, and clean water is still the best medicine.
Okay, thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back