Fish Trap

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ancient11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I can't seem to catch a few fish even after tearing up half my tank. I need some kind of fish trap that actually works. I would appreciate someone that has had experience with these things pointing me in the right direction.
thank you

I use to have the problem, try using 2 nets and have one net make the fish swim into the other one if that makes sense

It really does and I have tried that but my hands and reaction time has gone so far downhill in the last 10 years. I am to the point that a good trap is called for.
thank you

It really does and I have tried that but my hands and reaction time has gone so far downhill in the last 10 years. I am to the point that a good trap is called for.
thank you
What species are you dealing with ?(I was dealing with tiger barbs so they were just relay fast)

Get a 10-12 inch net and a 6-8 inch net. Set the big net against the glass and use the smaller net to guide them into the big one.

Move the net slowly and don't chase the fish because if they get spooked, they panic and you will have issues getting them.

-----
You won't find a fish trap to fit in a small tank and livebearers don't go into traps on the bottom of the tank.

Platys and Molly’s are slow. Get a big net (At least 6in) and try to trap it in a corner.

I have heard about using 2 bug nets, but I have never personally tried it.

This works as long as you have flat sides on your tank, I've caught complete schools in a few seconds. You don't need quick reaction times because you can rest the net frame against the glass once the fish are in.

@emeraldking can u help I know that your the local Livebearer guy?
You take a piece of chicken wire. Bend it and put it in the tank. And move that piece in one direction of the tank towards you. Then you send the fish to one side of the tank. Than it's harder to escape... Be sure you cut the edges of the piece of chicken wire to avoid damaging the fish.
IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1519.JPG IMG_1520.JPG

You take a piece of chicken wire. Bend it and put it in the tank. And move that piece in one direction of the tank towards you. Then you send the fish to one side of the tank. Than it's harder to escape... Be sure you cut the edges of the piece of chicken wire to avoid damaging the fish.
View attachment 109985 View attachment 109986 View attachment 109987
Would the metal not get into the water somehow?

That is a good idea though. Much easier to catch a fish in a smaller space than a huge tank. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back