Fish that are not ideal for small tanks.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

andywg said:
kevin007 said:
glolite said:
kevin007 said:
germanshepherdlver said:
Puffers(and they need to be kept alone!)

[snapback]849244[/snapback]​

not true, dwarf puffers can be kept with other dwarf puffers :)
[snapback]849279[/snapback]​

mmm... I had 3 DP's on the lfs advice and one killed the other 2 overnight. On the other hand my daughter keeps 3 DP's and they're fine :dunno:
[snapback]849316[/snapback]​

...are you sure the one dwarf puffer that killed the others are REALLY dwarf puffers?, there are alot of look-alikes
[snapback]849378[/snapback]​

Dwarf Puffers are still puffers and as such can be psychotic little buggers. The only reason you can keep more of them in a tank is due to their size, not their temprament. If the tank is not heavily planted/large enough or a fish is particuliarly nasty then keeping multiple DPs will not be a good idea.

On the topic of this thread, I can think of 10 times as many fish that shouldn't go in a 30 gallon than can. Surely there is a list of good 30 gal fish in the beginners?
[snapback]849439[/snapback]​

are you saying that a dwarf puffer is just as agressive as a fahaka puffer?

Teelie said:
.....Bumblebee Goby (doesn't get big but are brackish, fragile and hard to keep)
[snapback]849329[/snapback]​

Never realized the gobies were considered fragile or hard to keep. My bumble bee has been with me for almost a year, ever since i bought him and he hasn't caused me grief. Or maybe I'm just doing something he likes. :look:

Probably. Most likely it's because people keep them in freshwater instead of brackish and with other fish who would out compete the bumblebees.

Was red finned catfish already on the list? Or Raphael cats? Or channel cats?

Whale sharks, Great Whites, Hammerheads, haha...anyway...the list seems pretty inclusive at this point of what one is likely to find in a local fish shop.

Was pacu on the list?

Uh oh! I saw in walmart today, they had 10 PUFFERS IN ONE 10 GALLON!!!!

kevin007 said:
[snapback]849580[/snapback]​

They have the capability depending on the fish. Marth Fahaka (the Minion's Fahaka) is in with a bichir and two plecs.

I'm not saying that DPs are generally as aggressive as Fahakas (especially as Fahakas are regarded as the most aggressive freshwater puffer) but they are puffers and as such are likely to be aggressive, hence why you don't keep them with most other species (unless you want said other species to die) and you allow them a lot of room for themselves.

Never make the mistake of thinking that DPs are some kind of exception to puffers and will shoal like tetras.

Erm...according to the brackish threads there are 2 types of bumblebee gobies and one is quite happy in fresh water. You can tell them apart by the differences in banding apparently.

Oh, and they're apparently not that hard to keep and it's a falacy(sp) that they'll only eat specific live foods and will accept frozen.

Not that that helps, becuase they're not suitable for beginners really. Erm...

...perhaps I should stop rambling and go back to work?
:*)

Identifying properly is a problem. Despite the threads assertion, figuring them out is not easy and there is still a lot of debate as to whether the ones in the trade are even the true freshwater species.

andywg said:
kevin007 said:
[snapback]849580[/snapback]​

They have the capability depending on the fish. Marth Fahaka (the Minion's Fahaka) is in with a bichir and two plecs.

I'm not saying that DPs are generally as aggressive as Fahakas (especially as Fahakas are regarded as the most aggressive freshwater puffer) but they are puffers and as such are likely to be aggressive, hence why you don't keep them with most other species (unless you want said other species to die) and you allow them a lot of room for themselves.

Never make the mistake of thinking that DPs are some kind of exception to puffers and will shoal like tetras.
[snapback]850102[/snapback]​

dwarf puffers can live with bumblebee gobys...Martha i just an exception, the bichir and plec is just lucky to be living in with such a special fahaka, martha :)

ok well MOST pufers need to be kept alone and only experience fishkeepers should keep DPs together as even they can be terrotorial!

germanshepherdlver said:
ok well MOST pufers need to be kept alone and only experience fishkeepers should keep DPs together as even they can be terrotorial!
[snapback]850613[/snapback]​

Very correct and i agree 100% :D

I say we just list fish that are GOOD for tanks 30 gallons or less

Most reactions

trending

Back