Fish that are not ideal for small tanks.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WILDER

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Alot of newbie with small tanks have fish that are not appropriate for there tanks size, say less than 30gal, list the fish which you think are not suitable, as they grow to large and need room to grow and move.
I see alot of shark and wouldn't recommend them for a tanks less than 30 gallons.

Come on guys this is to help the newbies out.

Oscars, Jack Dempseys, Angel fish, Compressiceps, Frontosa's, Butties, Blue Haps, Katoto, Tropheus Moorii, Almost all American Cichlids (except Rams and dwarf species.), Distichodus, Piranha, Red Hook, Silver Dollars....
Oh look. The truth is for ALL beginners, be absolutely sure you know the size the fish will grow to as adults. It's all very well loving this one and that one but it's no good if they grow into large fish that can't turn around in the tank! For anything under 30usG aim for fish below an adult size of 4inches. Also take into account the shape of the tank and the needs of the fish. Some are happy with no others of their species, or prefer it that way, some like to be in shoals. If in doubt ask on these forums! There's pretty much at least one person that covers any one of the hundreds of fish.
Also be sure you know if the fish need tropical setup, coldwater, brackish or marine conditions.
Expect to make mistakes but try to avoid them anyway. We've all been beginners. The more you learn the better you can take care of your fish. Enjoy it! :thumbs:
Hugs,
P.

way too much to list. Before buying fish should read fish index for help first :).

Too many to list!!!!!!!!

arowanas
oscars
any shark
clown loach
pirhanas
Puffers(and they need to be kept alone!)
Plecs
Mystus Catfish

i think it would be easier to list the ones that will be ok!than the ones that arnt!good idea though

kevin007 said:
germanshepherdlver said:

[snapback]849244[/snapback]​

not true, dwarf puffers can be kept with other dwarf puffers :)
[snapback]849279[/snapback]​

mmm... I had 3 DP's on the lfs advice and one killed the other 2 overnight. On the other hand my daughter keeps 3 DP's and they're fine :dunno:

So far we have:

Oscars
Jack Dempseys
Angel fish
Compressiceps
Frontosa's
Butties
Blue Haps
Katoto
Tropheus Moori
Almost all American Cichlids (except Rams and dwarf species.)
Most African Cichlids (excepting shellies, rockdwellers and a few others)
Distichodus,
Piranha,
Red Hook,
Silver Dollars
Arowanas
Sharks (of any kind, Paroon, Irridescent, Silver, Columbian, Redtail, Rainbow, etc)
Clown Loach
Puffers (except Dwarves in species only)
Plecs/Panaques (Bristlenose and one or two others may go in a 20g)
Mystus Catfish
Redtailed Catfish
Tiger Shovelnose Catfish
Goldfish (not tropical but often mistaken for one)
Koi (same deal)
Stingrays
Knife fish of any kind
Bichirs
Bumblebee Goby (doesn't get big but are brackish, fragile and hard to keep)

CathyG is right. Too many to list not to go. :p

Most catfish other than Corydoras and 90% of oddball fish are not suitable for tanks below 30g or general community tanks. As said earlier it would be easier to list suitable fish rather than usuitable ones as the list would be shorter.

There's just basically to many to list, I'd just say if you are going to buy a fish, learn about it first.

glolite said:
kevin007 said:
germanshepherdlver said:

mmm... I had 3 DP's on the lfs advice and one killed the other 2 overnight. On the other hand my daughter keeps 3 DP's and they're fine :dunno:
[snapback]849316[/snapback]​

...are you sure the one dwarf puffer that killed the others are REALLY dwarf puffers?, there are alot of look-alikes

kevin007 said:
glolite said:
kevin007 said:
germanshepherdlver said:

[snapback]849316[/snapback]​

...are you sure the one dwarf puffer that killed the others are REALLY dwarf puffers?, there are alot of look-alikes
[snapback]849378[/snapback]​

Dwarf Puffers are still puffers and as such can be psychotic little buggers. The only reason you can keep more of them in a tank is due to their size, not their temprament. If the tank is not heavily planted/large enough or a fish is particuliarly nasty then keeping multiple DPs will not be a good idea.

On the topic of this thread, I can think of 10 times as many fish that shouldn't go in a 30 gallon than can. Surely there is a list of good 30 gal fish in the beginners?

But they always wan't a fish that isn't on the list, they always seem to wan't a shark in there tank, because they are little when buying them, they don't realise how big some of them can grow.

I think that in order to determine if a fish can go in a tank of any size, a lot of research has to be done. Even beginners should be willing to do the research. I also agree that the list would be much shorter if we could list the fish that would fit only because the list would be much shorter.

If a beginner still wants/gets a fish that isn't on the list of acceptable fish, no list is going to help them because they are going to get the fish anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back