Fish Tank Cost

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Frankenstein

Reaction score
I've been keeping fish for a little while with some ups and downs. I am interested in getting a larger tank. Somewhere in the range of 55-75 gallons. Any idea of a reasonable price for this size of tank?

That size tank will cost a few hundred dollars new at pet stores.  Over $200 just for the tank is normal, plus another $200 for each the stand, and filter.  Though you may be able to find a deal on a brand new tank if you're lucky!

I'd suggest checking on craigslist, people often don't have the room, or the time for bigger fish tanks, and you can easily find 55-75 gallon tanks for under $200 most of the time! :)  I just got a 65 gallon from goodwill for $30, so you could check places like that, too.  With goodwill, and craigslist there's no guarantee that the tank will be usable though.  

well you justed missed the dollar a gallon sale which had 55 gallon tanks which of which i got, agree with the above on the going on craigslist.

I would start, on craigs list.  You may get lucky and find a reasonable deal.  You can always offer a low price and see what happens too.  Most people are just trying to offload some tanks to buy bigger ones. 

I would check out your local petsmart or petco, to get some ideas on price.  This way you can judge if you have a good deal on your hands. ALWAYS find out when friends and family is and ask for coupons!!!   

I think buying piece by piece is better than buying a kit.  This gives you the abiliity to customize your tank to your wants and i believe you will get an overall better complete product.    You may end up spending a few bucks more or even less but atleast your buying what you need. 

Of all the sites I have seen and stores.  Petmountain.com seems to have the best savings not on tanks, but on everything else.  This is my opinion but compared to other spots i have purchased they seem to have great deals.    I would also not be afraid to purchase a tank that may have a leak because of seals.    I recently re siliconed a tank and it cost around 10 bucks for all supplies but its fairly easy and Now i am always on the hunt for a tank that i can repair and save a ton of cash.  I have enough supplies to repair 10 tanks now.

So to answer your question on a price.  It's really how much your willing to search, and maybe fixer up, or ask for deals at the big stores.    I recently bought a 45 gallon tank with fluva 203 caninistor, heater, full lights, wood bottom stand and matching top, tubings, heater, glass top lid, for 70 bucks.  I felt that was a good deal.  I found this on craigslist.

GOOD LUCK.  VERY EXCITING TIME FOR YOU! 

U can always pick up a bargain on eBay! U can put in ur Max distance ur willing to travel and could pick up something in or around your area!

Like others have said if you want to save some $$$ look for second hand tanks. You can find some very good bargains if you are willing to wait for the right tank to come along. 

As always with any second hand tank you want to make sure they hold the water without any leaks before handing over and money. 
good.gif

well from visually looking at it of course and filling it up with water and see what happens

I got my 20 gallon with everything but the heater for 78 and it has a led hood so it saves on the electric bill, steel stand for a 20 gallon ran me 30 too. My local store has deals all the time on tanks same with craigslist walmart sells full kits for decent money plus you can take it back if you don't like it alot easier then taking one back to the LFS.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back