Fish Swimming Around Heater?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TDPUK

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. 

I've had my tropical tank set up for around two month's now and have a few guppies, a molly, a few tetras and 2 angel fish in there. Everything has been running smoothly until around 3 days ago when they all started to gather around the heater. Now I know what you're thinking. " They're just cold because of the weather at the moment " I have adjusted to temperature several times now and it's sitting at around 32c and they're still doing the same. I know that's high, but I had no choice but to adjust it after reading many posts saying that's the solution

Can anyone please help me as I do not want them to die, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I would definitely start lowering it back down, that's really high :/
What size tank is it, what size heater, and do you have a thermometer in the tank, besides the one on the heater?

Yes, definitely lower it to their proper temperature (slowly as not to cause a temperature shock).  I'd be wondering if the heater heats your entire tank or has created warm and cold spots. Also, they could be hovering due to illness perhaps and that just happens to be the chosen spot.  What are you tank stats (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), size of tank, full stocking.

TDPUK said:
Hello everyone. 

I've had my tropical tank set up for around two month's now and have a few guppies, a molly, a few tetras and 2 angel fish in there. Everything has been running smoothly until around 3 days ago when they all started to gather around the heater. Now I know what you're thinking. " They're just cold because of the weather at the moment " I have adjusted to temperature several times now and it's sitting at around 32c and they're still doing the same. I know that's high, but I had no choice but to adjust it after reading many posts saying that's the solution

Can anyone please help me as I do not want them to die, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
I bet you need to do a big ole water change..

Ninjouzata said:
I would definitely start lowering it back down, that's really high
confused.gif

What size tank is it, what size heater, and do you have a thermometer in the tank, besides the one on the heater?

PrairieSunflower said:
Yes, definitely lower it to their proper temperature (slowly as not to cause a temperature shock).  I'd be wondering if the heater heats your entire tank or has created warm and cold spots. Also, they could be hovering due to illness perhaps and that just happens to be the chosen spot.  What are you tank stats (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), size of tank, full stocking.

HAMBONE said:

Hello everyone. 

Thank you!
I bet you need to do a big ole water change..

Thanks for the replies guys! Sadly I have lost two angel fish today ( this was when the temperature was around 26c ), the temp hovers around that most days. My orange tetra's have also now lost most of their colour.. this isn't good in need of some serious help! I think the tank is around 40L. 
Also completely fresh water change was done around 3 days ago. Can't seem to work out what it could be!

Try doing a big water change, dechlorinated & temperature matched, to see if that helps with anything.
And after that..you may want to fix your stocking.

Angels need a minimum of 30g (~115L), and would probably not put two in that size tank, myself..would feel better putting 2 in a 55g.
Mollies also need a 30g, since they get pretty chunky & are active.

The guppies should be fine in there.

What sort of tetras do you have? If you post a pic we can ID them for you.
Do you have a test kit? Would be interested to see your water parameters.

I know this doesn't really apply to the heater part, or maybe it does..but this is something that should be addressed ASAP. I hope I'm not coming off as harsh at all, just want what is best for your fish. :)

Could your heater be faulty and fluctuating the temperature too rapidly ?

As long as the heater is keeping a stable and correct water temp then the weather outside or the fact it's winter is irrelevant.

Maybe move your thermometer to different places in the tank and see what the  temp reads all over, I can't imagine any dead or cold spots on a 40 litre with adequate filtration and movement

Now that we know it is 40 liters I wouldn't think there is likely a cold spot either.

I think we really need to know those water stats, there would be high ammonia or nitrites making them ill.

What other symptoms do your remaining fish have?  like white stringy poop?  Do the flick or rub on things?  Any spots like grains of salt?  Fuzzy white patches?  Dull patches?

Rehome the angels first and please a pic of your tank please.

Cheers Aad

Ninjouzata said:
Try doing a big water change, dechlorinated & temperature matched, to see if that helps with anything.
And after that..you may want to fix your stocking.

Angels need a minimum of 30g (~115L), and would probably not put two in that size tank, myself..would feel better putting 2 in a 55g.
Mollies also need a 30g, since they get pretty chunky & are active.

The guppies should be fine in there.

What sort of tetras do you have? If you post a pic we can ID them for you.
Do you have a test kit? Would be interested to see your water parameters.

I know this doesn't really apply to the heater part, or maybe it does..but this is something that should be addressed ASAP. I hope I'm not coming off as harsh at all, just want what is best for your fish.
smile.png

b3cca said:
Could your heater be faulty and fluctuating the temperature too rapidly ?

As long as the heater is keeping a stable and correct water temp then the weather outside or the fact it's winter is irrelevant.

Maybe move your thermometer to different places in the tank and see what the  temp reads all over, I can't imagine any dead or cold spots on a 40 litre with adequate filtration and movement

PrairieSunflower said:
Now that we know it is 40 liters I wouldn't think there is likely a cold spot either.

I think we really need to know those water stats, there would be high ammonia or nitrites making them ill.

What other symptoms do your remaining fish have?  like white stringy poop?  Do the flick or rub on things?  Any spots like grains of salt?  Fuzzy white patches?  Dull patches?

DoubleDutch said:
Rehome the angels first and please a pic of your tank please.

Cheers Aad

Thanks for the replies guys I will do a big water change today. Going to get a test kit also to test the levels. 

Here are the photo's of the tank and the tetras. They're an orange colour but you can't see this due to the blue LED.

fmosj7.jpg

s4s421.jpg

Here's a guppy, they're doing well. 
1rygyp.jpg

Yep, please rehome the Angels. This tank isn't a tank that should have angels in it.
Notice you don't have living plants, so nitrate-control only could be done by waterchanges.
Too much fish / wrong fish (growers) will pollute the water with possible nitrates that have gone sky high !!
There is quite a flow I think. Is the place above the heather the only place with low flow possibly ???

Cheers Aad

BTW  Your fish do look quite healthy !!

How often do you perform a water change and how much do you change each time? Did you change anything on your filter? Sometimes the trouble lies with people changing the filter media as per instruction in the filter booklet, which then causes the tank having to go through the cycling all over again. :(

DoubleDutch said:
Yep, please rehome the Angels. This tank isn't a tank that should have angels in it.
Notice you don't have living plants, so nitrate-control only could be done by waterchanges.
Too much fish / wrong fish (growers) will pollute the water with possible nitrates that have gone sky high !!
There is quite a flow I think. Is the place above the heather the only place with low flow possibly ???

Cheers Aad

BTW  Your fish do look quite healthy !!
Thanks for the reply, okay I will donate him to a friend. 

Meeresstille said:
How often do you perform a water change and how much do you change each time? Did you change anything on your filter? Sometimes the trouble lies with people changing the filter media as per instruction in the filter booklet, which then causes the tank having to go through the cycling all over again.
sad.png

Around every 2-3 weeks, the whole tank usually. I changed my filter a few days ago, would this be a cause? 

If you changed your filter with a brand new insert, then you are probably cycling all over again. The filter pads are where your beneficial bacteria live, so throwing it out per instructions in the booklet is a big no no.

Do you have a test kit that you can give us ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels?

Weekly water changes are better, most people do between 30 - 50%! Leaving so much time between WC and doing such a large amount could be harder on the fish since the water's chemistry could differ very much from your tap water. I had it happen that a number of my fish suffered a pH shock and died after a large WC.

As Gizaroo already said, depending on your filter and what you threw out you may have thrown out your beneficial bacteria that convert your fish's waste from their toxic forms (Ammonia and Nitrite) into the less toxic form called Nitrate. That means you will need to do lots and lots of daily WC to keep these toxins at a safe level. How soon can you get a test kit? It will help you see what's going on chemically in your tank and when you need to do a WC!

Most reactions

trending

Back