Fish Suffering At School!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Awwwwwww, that's just really SAD! :(

In my classroom, my teacher is keeping a 10-gallon, which has been cycled since like last year or something, and it has four fish in it which I don't know the types of them, some kind of shrimp, and 4 guppies that one of my class mates gave him.... OH, and soon he will have some mickey mouse platies from me, too, like, from when my fish gives birth, but then I might convince HIM to set up his extra 10-gallon for them, or my Mom might buy him, like, an absolutely GIGANTIC tank, just so he can keep them ALL. XD As you may have guessed, my Mom doesn't *want* extra tanks around the house.... ^^;

So you guys know, frogs used for dissection are bred in labs and are euthanized using a way that does not damage anything, so it was probably humane.

That's what I'd assumed. ;)

Still, I'm going to TRY to not go to school on the day when we're dissecting frogs.... Although that still IS next year, QUITE far away, eh? *le shudders* :(

Aren't goldfish feeders anyway? Isn't that the primary reason people buy most goldfish? Maybe that's why she blew you off as if it was nothing...

I don't get it though, I can understand that the fish is "suffering" but in opposite cases, it's only a fish when you think about it. A fish that is commonly known for feeders. What about dissecting frogs? Isn't that nearly the same exact situation? I'm sorry that I'm confused about this. I understand animal cruelty, but what I don't understand is why make such a HUGE deal and investment into a goldfish? I'm sorry if I upset or insult anyone with this post, but I just happen to be confused by this.

A lot of people don't "get it"...at least at first. Most of us subscribe to the idea that if you're taking in ANY animal as a pet, it deserves proper care. Sadly an unfortunate number of people don't really make the connection that they are in fact animals.

One issue is this misconception that fish don't live very long. "Feeder" goldfish are simply young common goldfish, which can live a very long time if properly cared for (30 years!). Unfortunately they're usually kept in very crowded conditions putting them at higher risk for disease, which is one of the reasons that even using them as feeders is a bad idea.

Next, if she kept them in a proper tank with the intention of actually feeding them to something I'd consider her more responsible than she is now. Death by being eaten is a much quicker way to go than what she put them through.

Another point: Just because an animal is "cheap" doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve good treatment. My cat was free, that doesn't make it justifiable to keep it in a shoebox it's whole life.

Finally, this woman is a position of authority as a teacher, and should be setting a better example for the students. Instead she made an obviously immature choice by purchasing animals she knew nothing about, was unwilling to learn about, and unable to take care of properly.

*Edit* I guess I should point out that I'm not opposed to the use of proper feeders for fish who won't accept anything but live foods, or culling inferior spawn, or letting "nature take it's course" with accidental fry in community tanks. Fish can't really be "fixed" after all. Sometimes fish die in the hands of inexperienced fishkeepers, and that's okay if they tried their best to be responsible. Disease, accidents, etc are all things that can occur to pet owners, but I feel it's a bit dangerous to consider the life of one pet animal more important than another.

Hey Inchyally,
if she replaces the two goldfishes, you should get your classmates to sign a contract stating that the two goldfish need a way bigger aquarium and if more than 50% of your class mates agree, show it to your teacher and hopefully something works out. :D

My view on this:

More action needed to be taken, but i accept it may not have been easy.

as for the 10 gallon - yes its small for the fish, but I would not have put anyone of putting it in there, I am confident it would have lived longer than it did in that "puddle". Probably would have lived many years, yes its not ideal but would not have been torture.

many ideas and discussions got thrown around but nothing was done.

breaking in the school at night.....probably not a good idea, and one that would probably not be feasible. but thats my opinion anyway.

In my opinion, I would have reported it to a head teacher, in writing, with a copy sent to some official animal rights rep.

Also, the outside body of gold fish will grow accordingly to what size tank they are int, but their internals will not. So, if kept in a small tank for too long, their body will stop growing, but their internals will not. So in other words, they will kill them selves.
that statement is false and it does not happen...science has proven it, and nature wouldnt allow it!

Also Agreed

my god that is shocking. not having read all the thread but i have a suggestion

can you not give the school name and class number to somebody else to report if you dont want to do it....or better still see if theres anyone on here who lives nearby who could report or at least ring the principle and voice their concerns???

R.I.P. Poor things.

Discusting.
Thought teachers were meant to set a good example to there pupils.
Once you buy a fish as a pet you are responsible for its welfare. They died a terrible death.

Raising a frog in a laboratory just to kill it and disect it is wrong too! Not a good argument!
what a sweeping statement!

how do you think we get to where we are today? where by we understand the atonally of all animals.
Good point truck!

Truck is right! Everything you learned in biology class, or equivalent classes dealing with specimen, all came from dissecting, or at least started there!

IMO, I think this thread is taking it a little too far now, its called the circle of life.

As for the goldfish, the first part of this thread, now that is something that could of easily been prevented.

But now talking about dissecting and all...well, that stuff just has to happen, or we would not, like truck stated, be where we are today!

-FHM

my god that is shocking. not having read all the thread but i have a suggestion

can you not give the school name and class number to somebody else to report if you dont want to do it....or better still see if theres anyone on here who lives nearby who could report or at least ring the principle and voice their concerns???

Well, the fish are dead now, not much else I can do but hope that more fish wont be put in the death trap. :( For privacy reasons I don't want to post my school name on the internet (it is a private school) and I seriously doubt the ASPCA would take action on 2 25cent fish. The idea of me buying a small 10gal tank was shot down and my counselor didn't seem to care.

About the dissecting thing, the animals are euthanized humanely by injection, not suffocated! The frogs or whatever aren't drowned, they are killed quickly and painlessly. This was long AND painful.

About the dissecting thing, the animals are euthanized humanely by injection, not suffocated! The frogs or whatever aren't drowned, they are killed quickly and painlessly. This was long AND painful.

I disagree.. How is it that we know about what will kill certain animals?? the world isnt such a nice place as you would probably hope.

Did you even try looking at garage sales or craigslist for a cheap secondhand tank? Someone would have been bound to have one. And a secondhand 20 gallon or so would have been better than nothing at all until the tank could be upgraded further or the fish moved to a pond.
Why you were even thinking of getting an expensive brand new tank is beyond me.

Speak to this teacher again. Ask her if she intends to get any more aquatic class pets . If the answer is yes or very likely, and get hold of a cheap second hand tank of 10-20 gallons. Buy a cheap basic heater and internal cannister filter on Ebay.

Then, instead of goldfish advise her to get 5 gold barbs. They look enough like goldfish to mollify most children, and won't outgrow a 10 gallon if that is the biggest you can get.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back