Fish Suffering At School!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

take it home and out it in one of your cycled tanks!

I would but...

My 20 doesn't have adequate filtration for 2 goldfish. Plus there would be a definite ammonia spike, there is no way there is enough bacteria at present to support them. All there is is a small female Betta, and 3 Cories.

My 55, they would get bullied. The Severum would most likely harass them, and the Bleeding Heart and Serpae Tetras could be possible fin nippers.

Placing them in tanks with a temperature of 82F could shock them, too.

Plus, I don't think they would let me take the fish on the bus. =\

I really want to help, there are just a lot of obstacles.

taken from "Effect of stunting of juvenile bighead carp Aristichthys nobilis (Richardson) on compensatory growth and reproduction" by Santiago CB, Gonzal AC, Aralar EV, Arcilla RP in AQUACULTURE RESEARCH Vol 35 Issue (9) pages 836-841, JUL 23 2004:

"The carp stunted for 6, 12 and 18 months showed growth compensation, although their weights and lengths were slightly lower than those of the control fish. The body weight and length of fish stunted for 24 months were the lowest throughout the rearing period. Sexual maturation occurred only in the control fish and those stunted for 6 and 12 months. However, the onset of gonad maturity was delayed significantly (P<0.05) in males stunted for 12 months and in both groups of stunted female fish. "

stunting delayed the development of the fish, but there was no mention of bulging organs.

have you ever seen a fish with organs that are bigger than they should be????
Thanks Truck!

I appreciate your time to show me this!

-FHM

I went to the class today and the fish were gone.... I think they died. :rip:

I was really going to help, too, but it is too late.

Hope she doesn't buy replacements...

That's too bad!

But, like I said, it would probably comes to this before she would take your advice.

Did you ask her what happened to the fish?

Is the little fish bowl thingy still there with water in it? If so, she might be getting more fish? :X

-FHM

That's too bad!

But, like I said, it would probably comes to this before she would take your advice.

Is the little fish bowl thingy still there with water in it? If so, she might be getting more fish? :X

-FHM

I should have asked, but I just assumed. There was no water in it. I hope she doesn't replace them.

Aren't goldfish feeders anyway? Isn't that the primary reason people buy most goldfish? Maybe that's why she blew you off as if it was nothing...

That's too bad!

-FHM

I should have asked, but I just assumed. There was no water in it. I hope she doesn't replace them.

Fingers crossed!

-FHM

This is the saddest strand i've read in a long time. One point i want to make is that many of the people who have responded to this post are living in England. England has much tougher animal rights laws than the U.S. Even if this was reported, i don't believe it would have made any difference (sadly).

This is my advice if she does replace those fish (and we'll all be hoping that she doesn't). 1-Find an adult at that school who will take up your case. There are animal lovers everywhere and maybe she'll be more likely to pay attention to one of her peers. 2--write a letter to your school newspaper and your regional newspaper bringing attention to the plight of these fish. 3--Talk to your fellow school chums and start a petition to re-home the fish. Get everyone to sign it and give a copy to the principal. 4--Have your parents call the school and express their concern. 5--Give me your teachers email. I'll contact her myself!!

I, for one, am proud of you for speaking up. It's hard to take a stand, especially against a teacher. And, by the way, i'm a school counselor and find her actions a bit embarassing and somewhat of a disgrace to the profession.

Aren't goldfish feeders anyway? Isn't that the primary reason people buy most goldfish? Maybe that's why she blew you off as if it was nothing...

I don't get it though, I can understand that the fish is "suffering" but in opposite cases, it's only a fish when you think about it. A fish that is commonly known for feeders. What about dissecting frogs? Isn't that nearly the same exact situation? I'm sorry that I'm confused about this. I understand animal cruelty, but what I don't understand is why make such a HUGE deal and investment into a goldfish? I'm sorry if I upset or insult anyone with this post, but I just happen to be confused by this.

I don't get it though, I can understand that the fish is "suffering" but in opposite cases, it's only a fish when you think about it. A fish that is commonly known for feeders. What about dissecting frogs? Isn't that nearly the same exact situation? I'm sorry that I'm confused about this. I understand animal cruelty, but what I don't understand is why make such a HUGE deal and investment into a goldfish? I'm sorry if I upset or insult anyone with this post, but I just happen to be confused by this.

I hate the 'it's just a fish' thing.... it is a living, breathing creature just like you and I! A cheap price tag doesn't lower the life it should get. These goldfish were put through ridiculously extreme pain, that was preventable. They were suffocating and unable to move. Nothing desevres that, even a 25cent fish. The fish probably wasn't expecting a full life as a feeder, but this was just careless.

As a kid we had a goldfish that lived for almost 6 years, and he was one more of the family. I'm not too cool with animal cruelty neither.

I think before dissecting a frog they put them to sleep with an anesthetic, am I correct?

As a kid we had a goldfish that lived for almost 6 years, and he was one more of the family. I'm not too cool with animal cruelty neither.

I think before dissecting a frog they put them to sleep with an anesthetic, am I correct?

Yes; either that, or they might just *brace yourself for it* kill them. ;) In a way, the frog will feel no pain at all. :3

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back