Fish Safe, Rock Holding Glue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Baffscruff

Reaction score
Hello all,

One of my neighbours children has recently been to the beech and she's collected a whole load of rocks (illegal i know) which she has offered to make into a lovely castle for my fish. So ive boiled the #### out of these rocks and done all the acid-alkali tests i could think of and they're completely inert *pause for sarcastic hooray*.
So, does anyone know of a fish safe glue that will hold rocks together, preferably without sticking the 7 year olds hands together too? I was thinking silica glass glue, or even a hot glue gun, but im not sure about the rock holding ability of the silica glue or the fish safe...errrm...ness of the glue gun and the child-friendly ness of both, as i'd rather not have to peel 7 year old hild off my desk again, they leave a horrid mess and then theres all the fines and life inprisonment not to mention eternal damnation... all of which I would much rather avoid.

Many thanks and I'll be sure to post pictures of my newly fortified tank upon its completion.

Milliput is safe too, and can be found in most hobby shops and some lfs'.

It will bond underwater too, and bonds faster than silicone. Reef keepers use it to create rock formations :good:.

Ive used both "hot melt glue gun" and superglue.... but with kids, superglue may require latex gloves !!!! (or a camcorder.... LOL )

Just go buy some aquarium safe silicon, I have used this to glue my rocks together as i have made a cave....

I think it is what they use to glue the pieces of glass together to make an aqauarium so it is definitely safe.....

:D

You can drill 6mm holes into the rocks and use plastic wall plugs/ dowels to hold the rocks together. Basically drill a couple of holes in the bottom of one rock, and in the top of another rock. Insert some wall plugs into the holes so they stick out about half an inch. Then put the other rock on top. Then you can take the rocks apart afterwards if you need to.
Alternatively you can use concrete or a marine putty available from any petshop.

Although concrete does contain lime, it doesn't affect the water quality very quickly. It does slowly raise the PH of the water, however regular water changes will prevent it from going up too high. Also the slightly alkaline PH caused by the lime is countered by the fish food and waste breaking down in the water. If you are keeping blackwater fish, then don't use concrete, but for stuff like livebearers, barbs, rift lake cichlids, and marine fish, it is fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back