Fish Quiz

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Correct scott your turn.

...a standard 10g and the desire to keep rubbish fish like tetras, dwarf gouramis, cories and otos,...
firstly, i find that a little offensive, you may think your better then these common fish and can keep more oddballs etc, but for me, and for many others, tetras, gouramies, cories, ottos are fantastic fish that not only look good, but also have a very good use like the ottos eating algea.

and the answer i think to the question.
pike cichlid?

A goldfish needs?

A Bowl
10 gallon tank
20 Gallon tank

ok, I'll ask a question- would this be a suitable tank?
10 gallons
1 dwarf gourami
6 neon tetras
3 pepper cories
1 betta
2 otos

why or why not?

Suggestion -

I mentioned this earlier in this (very long) thread, wouldn't it be easier if people asked questions with one definite correct answer. Can't you see these sort of questions create arguments? People all have different views on this, there may be an ideal answer but it is not always correct according to some.

Cheers,
Mike

there are many species of pikes...

EDIT:
Boulengerochromis microlepis is, with a maximum adult length of about 70 cm, one of the biggest (maybe even the biggest) cichlids in the world.

70 cm isn't 3 feet... a bit over 2 feet more like it...

hmmm.... the article I had read stated that it was "the only cichlid to grow over 3ft"

I'm guessing that 70cm is the average, while there must have been a record of over 3 ft.....

lol! did you read it right?

even if it IS a record, my question was....."The only Cichlid to reach over 3 ft is......?"

That doesn't necessarily mean they always do... just like saying the only human to reach 10ft tall is John Doe....

you understand? hahahaha

That's 2 sites saying it doesn't grow to 3'...

Boulengerochromis microlepis, is arguably the largest cichlid, growing to a length of over 65 cm and weighing up to 4-5 kg.

Boulengerochromis microlepis is, with a maximum adult length of about 70 cm, one of the biggest (maybe even the biggest) cichlids in the world.

And one site saying it grows to over 3'...

the largest is Boulengerochromis microlepis, which attains a length of over 900 mmâ€￾ (over 3 feet).

What I find interesting is how come wikipedia is wrong (1st wote is from wikipedia) and it says of no record breaking specimen which would grow to over 3'...

So it's an arguable question (well not really, there is more evidence in the favour of it not growing to 3'+ (oh and 900mm is just barely 3' so the + wouldn't belong there even in that case))... I thought we said no to questions with many different answers

Honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about.....But ok,

Sites that list size for fish is usually the average max length in aquariums... some get bigger and some get smaller and so on....
also, in the wild, they usually do get quite a bit bigger then in the aquarium setting....
a good example being the Dojo loach, 1 found at 32" in the wild, while rated for about 12" on fish sites..
and again I am wondering why you are arguing here.... you said..."I thought we said no to questions with many different answers"
while you are arguing the fact that there is NO answer at all....
any way, to sum up, a lot of the other members know this answer and there have been topics about this fish (where i got the original idea) on this FORUM!
So, I don't want to bother keeping on fighting because this is ridiculous and there is no point in ruining the topic that has gone so far on everyone else....

So whoever answered my question..... lets keep the ball rolling...

Oh and one more thing.... don't use Wikipedia as a reference to information. anyone can just make an account and edit the information,
"What I find interesting is how come wikipedia is wrong" so don't bother with it.... As a university student, professors don't like referencing to it because the information can be horrible....
"Welcome to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit." ----- you didn't catch that at the top of every page ??

Suggestion -

I mentioned this earlier in this (very long) thread, wouldn't it be easier if people asked questions with one definite correct answer. Can't you see these sort of questions create arguments? People all have different views on this, there may be an ideal answer but it is not always correct according to some.

Cheers,
Mike

This is exactly what I think :good: and I couldnt agree more with you and Oohfeeshy, the questions have to have an answer that is FACT. The stocking question, with all due respect, was a ridiculous question, its obvious that everyone has different opinions on stocking, and different experiences with tankmates.

I have my own opinion on the matter but I think there have been enough opinions thrown around so i'll leave it.

this brings me on to:

what fish can walk on land?

please be more specific! What do you mean by "walk"??? Walking is to advance your feet alternately so there is always one foot on the ground.
Your question is very vague, by your question I can think of quite a few that can "walk" in some form or another. Snakeheads are well known for their 'walking', as are bichirs, mudskippers, maybe lungfish, infact, I expect most flat-bottomed fish are capable of "walking" on land to some extent.

I wish people would actually think about (preferably research) the questions before they ask and make them specific with only 1 possible correct answer if youre going to do the quiz seriously.

sorry for asking the wrong question, i didnt realise you had to make it so easy, i did do reseach, but it seems not enough, sorry i asked a question.
the answer i was looking for, as i didnt know lots of fish could walk on land, was climbing perch.
this quiz used to be fun

firstly, i find that a little offensive, you may think your better then these common fish and can keep more oddballs etc, but for me, and for many others, tetras, gouramies, cories, ottos are fantastic fish that not only look good, but also have a very good use like the ottos eating algea.

Hey, whatever, although how you can find that offensive (unless you happened to be a tetra or whatever) I'm not entirely sure...

~

This is exactly what I think :good: and I couldnt agree more with you and Oohfeeshy, the questions have to have an answer that is FACT. The stocking question, with all due respect, was a ridiculous question, its obvious that everyone has different opinions on stocking, and different experiences with tankmates.

RAmen.

this quiz used to be fun

No, it didn't.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back