Fish Of The Week - Tangs - 26 Sept 09

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
Fish Of The Week

TANGS

Come share your experiences and photos

Remember, this is a shared and ongoing resource, so don't forget to pop back and update us with your new photos and experiences in the coming months

Who will be first...............

Archived Fish Of Week Threads

Hi

I have to choose achilles tangs as there are my favorite type of tang i have not had much luck with these tangs due to white spot lost my last one 2 weeks back while i was away but you need a lorge tank of 150gal for this fish to do well and make sure it is the last fish added to the tank very aggressive once settled and make sure its the only tang in the tank also killed my sohal and clown tang a while back and need to be feed on nori sheets every day and givea good mixture of food and they respoind well to copper treatment

regards scott

Can we have a photo please Scott - plus, think you have experience of many different Tangs, so, can write a little about all the ones you have kept, pretty pleeeeease?

Seffie x

There is so much debate on proper tank sizes so I believe this needs to be on here asap for people to read (esp since it was posted that someone has some of these in a nano). No excuses now :p Although I would LOVE to be able to have one in my 29g, I'll have to wait for a larger tank :sad:

On the question of tank sizes, Scott W. Michael, recommends the following minimum sizes in Marine Fishes, 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species, Microcosm Ltd., 1999:

Acanthurus achilles, Achilles Surgeonfish, 100 gal (380l)

Acanthurus coeruleus, Atlantic Blue Tang, 75 gal (285l)

Acanthurus japonicus, Powder Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l)

Acanthurus leucosternon, Powder Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l)

Acanthurus lineatus, Lined or Clown Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l)

Acanthurus nigricans, Whitecheek Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l)

Acanthurus olivaceus, Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish, 135 gal (510l)

Acanthurus pyroferus, Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l)

Acanthurus sohal, Sohal Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l)

Acanthurus tristegus, Convict Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l)

Acanthurus tristis, Indian Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l)

Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Chevron Tang, 100 gal (380l)

Ctenochaetus strigosus, Kole's Tang, 75 gal (285l)

Naso brevirostris, Spotted Unicornfish, 180 gal (685l)

Naso lituratus, Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang, 135 gal (510l)

Naso unicornis, Bluespine Unicornfish, 200 gal (760l)

Paracanthurus hepatus, Pacific Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l)

Zebrasoma desjardinii, Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l)

Zebrasoma flavescens, Yellow Tang, 75 gal (285l)

Zebrasoma scopas, Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l)

Zebrasoma veliferum, Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l)

Zebrasoma xanthurum, Purple Tang, 100 gal (380l)

This article was first published in the February 2006 issue of Practical Fishkeeping magazine.

Buying and keeping tangs

There are a few key things to look for when buying tangs:

Size: Don’t buy tangs that are too large (unless they have grown up in someone else’s tank,)or too small as they tend not to do very well. 7-10cm/21/2”-4” is a good size to go for.

Weight: Healthy tangs are plump, not skinny. If buying a particular specimen, look at it from above and behind; if it looks broad across the back, it’s a good one. Don’t worry about tangs with lumpy abdomens; they swallow grains of sand to help them grind up the algae they eat, and in the gut these make the fish look lumpy.

Look a gift fish in the mouth: Tangs need to eat almost continuously. If their mouths are injured, they may not be able to do this and could slowly starve. Look very carefully at their mouths and reject any fish that show signs of injury. Such fish are probably doomed.

Colour: Fish should ideally be well coloured, but if you are unfortunate enough to find a fish that has been captured using cyanide, it may have unusually bright colours. Also, fish kept in systems with copper-treated water often show paler colours. However, once home, you can usually see its colours improve, starting almost immediately after getting it out of the shipping bag. It usually takes just a few weeks to reach full intensity.

Behaviour: Healthy tangs are alert, inquisitive and usually looking for food, picking at rocks, glass, sand and so on. Avoid listless, unreactive specimens.

Home sweet home
Tangs need lots of space for swimming, shelter, well-oxygenated and vigorously-moving water, and a good supply of algae to browse. Sand is also useful as it allows them to ingest the grains that help them to digest their food.

To stay healthy, tangs need the right type of food, namely algae, delivered in the right way. This might be filamentous or macroalgae growing in the aquarium, algae-based flake or pellet foods, or even spirulina gut-loaded brine shrimp. When your tang exhausts the supply of algae in the tank, the next best option is a supply of dried seaweed. You can buy this in sheets, as nori, or flakes.

Don’t feed lettuce or other vegetables; these are nowhere near as nutritious. Ideally, tangs should be able to feed all day. Providing dried sheet algae in a clip, replenishing as needed, is a good way to achieve this. If not fed properly, tangs may develop head and lateral line erosion.

Quarantine
Tangs are vulnerable to parasitic infections, particularly whitespot, Cryptocaryon irritans, so careful quarantine is a must. Simply keeping your tang on its own for three to four weeks before adding it to your aquarium is a great help.

Even better is low-salinity quarantine – keeping the fish in water with a specific gravity of 1.010-1.012 for about three weeks. This helps fish shed any parasites they are carrying.

With so little salt in the system, you need to be careful to keep the alkalinity of the quarantine water up to normal levels by adding buffers as required. Fortunately, if your tangs do get whitespot, they respond well to treatment with either copper or low salinity.

Poster paint sharp
Tangs as a family have small scales, giving them a very smooth-skinned look. This in turn makes their colour patterns very sharp and vivid, as if they have been painted on with poster paint and a fine brush.

It seems not many people have tangs, here are some piccies of mine, he is growing very quickly now and will be moved to my 6ft tank once it is set up in a few weeks.

My Caribbean Blue Tang

When I bought Him

2009_0823Reef0062.jpg

A few weeks later

2009_0827Reef0036.jpg

A month after getting him

2009_0919Reef0016.jpg

Taken about 2 months after getting him

2009_1019Reef0050.jpg

2009_1019Reef0055.jpg

He eats constantly and like a pig [040.gif]

He is an absolute character and I am looking forward to being able to have more Tangs.

When talking about min tank sizes of Tangs are we using US gallons or IMP?

can i just add that its not the water volume you have to worry about its about the space. there's no good having a 350L tank and the tang has to dodge loads of rocks and cant move very well etc. a tang needs swimming SPACE. :good:

A long awaited pic of my two tangs

Photo0487.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back