Fish Of The Week - Seahorses

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
Fish of the week

Seahorses

Few of us are lucky enough to have kept this

wonderful creature but many of us are

fasinated by them and hope

in the future to keep them.

So, to those that have or who are

keeping Seahorses please come and share

your experiences, photos with us all​

Archived Fish of the Week Threads

Seahorses are beautiful and fascinating animals and keeping them gives me hours of pleasure and enjoyment. Keeping and caring for these animals take time and dedication, but if you are willing to put in the time and effort your will not be disappointed.
Let’s get to know a little more about these animals

Seahorse features

Tail
Seahorses have a prehensile tail which has more resemblance to a monkey’s tail than a fish. The tail is used to anchor the seahorse to weed and hitching posts.

Snout
This is the part of the seahorse that gives rise to its name, due to the resemblance to a horse’s head. The snout also gives the seahorse its Latin family name sygnathidae, which means fused tube. The snout consists of several fused plates which forms a tube, through which the seahorse sucks its prey with such force it disintegrates it.

Male mothers
Probably the most famous feature of the seahorse is that the male actually become pregnant and gives birth to the young. It is a true pregnancy as is feeds the young through a placenta. Gestation can last between 14-28 days, after which the male gives birth by contractions, which can last for up to 12 hours.

Life partners
Most seahorse species are believed to pair for life, each with their own territories which overlap. Each morning, to reinforce their bonding they do a courtship dance.
The most important part of keeping seahorses is research, research and more research. Read all you can, go onto forums and talk to people who keep them, talk to shops (most keepers and shops are more than willing to give help and advice so take advantage of it – use all the resources at your disposal.

Now let’s get to the tank setup and requirements.

The tank
Making sure you have the right tank for keeping seahorses is essential. They require both base area and height. In the wild seahorses are territorial and this is true in captivity. Having a tank with plenty of space gives you the opportunity to create lots of hiding areas, it may sound strange but the more hiding places there are more likely you are to see your seahorses. They are essentially shy animals and if you create an environment that they feel safe and secure in they will be out and about utilising the space you have created for them. Height is important in a seahorses tank as hitching post should be provided at all levels of the tank which allows them to climb around in the search of food but also it is important for their courtship displays.
It doesn’t matter if the tank is glass or acrylic, but make sure that the all areas of the tank are accessible for easy cleaning. As with all marine fish it is important to keep the tank clean to prevent disease.

Furnishing
As mentioned before plenty of hiding places is essential to make the seahorses secure, the happier they feel the more they venture out into their environment. Live rock makes an ideal basis for a seahorse tank as it generally comes with algae growing on it or seeded. However care must be taken when using live rock as the anemones that grow on it can get out of hand and large, this poses a problem as they can sting seahorses cause skin problems and even death. Live rock makes a good structure to plant algae’s at all levels of the tank – creating hitching post for your seahorses. Not only does it create a stunning effect in your tank but it will also help remove nitrates from your tank water. Sea fan skeletons should be avoided as seahorses prefer larger smooth object to hitch to the sea fans fine mesh.

Filtration
Keep it simple. Most filter systems are acceptable each having their own advantages and disadvantages. Choose an option that suits you and your tank needs.

Water parameters
This will vary depending on what species of seahorses you want keep. Seahorses come all over the world each requiring slightly different parameters – again this is where research is vital, work out what species you would like to keep and set up your tank accordingly. As with all aquariums it is important to keep ammonia and nitrite levels at or near zero and keep nitrate levels low. pH, SG and temperature all vary from species to species.

Lighting
Seahorses like low light levels, similar to their natural environment. However it is a compromise as you need enough light in your tank for the algae to grow and survive. I would recommend experimenting with your lighting to get the right balance and the effect you are after. Seahorses can become stressed if your tank is too bright without enough places for them to hide.

Feeding
Making sure your seahorses have a good diet will allow you to have healthy well fed seahorses. Most captive bred horses will already be eating frozen food such as mysis and brine shrimp. However frozen food is not as nutritious and live food and will have to be enriched. It is recommended that if your seahorses are eating frozen food not to feed live food, or if you do not to do it too often. Seahorses have a very simple digestive system without a true stomach so food is not retained for any length of time within the body for this reason seahorses need to eat throughout the day. If using frozen food it is recommended to feed your seahorses 3-4 times a day.

References
Practical fish keeping Seahorses by Neil Garrick-Maidment, 2002. ISBN 1 86054 264 4
Seahorses care and conservation by Neil Garrick-Maidment, 2003. ISBN 1 85279228 0

Just to note: I have not yet kept any seahorses but have been reading up on them for months and plan to keep a pair in the near future.

Kelwoo has already given a lot of good information so im just going to add a few bits that spring to mind.

Selecting the right species:
This is very important and where a lot of research is needed. Not all seahorses that are commonly available are tropical, some come from temperate waters so will need a slightly cooler tank.

Dwarf seahorses are more difficult then you may think. Unlike other seahorses they HAVE to be kept in a small tank (10g is usually recommended). The reason for this is that they have to have a large concentration of food (usually live baby brine shrimp) and in too large a tank it is not possible to keep the food concentrations high enough and they will starve.

As mentioned above by Kelwoo, seahorses need a deeper tank (at least 20 inches, 24 or more is ideal). Around 15-20g is the suggested minimum tank size for a smaller pair of seahorses. As with most things there is debate about tank sizes so min tank size will differ depending on who you talk too (everyone agrees that they need at last a 20inch deep tank and that bigger is better though).

Whatever species you decide to get you MUST make sure they are captive bred and feed on frozen food. Yes it is possible to cultivate live food however this is a massively time consuming process when done on a large enough scale to keep adult seahorses well fed and if you have a culture or two crash then you can find yourself stuck with no food.

Feeding:
Feeding it probably one of the bigger problems for seahorses. If you get some that are eating frozen food it is easier. As Kelwoo mentioned it is a very good idea to use vitamin enrichments with the frozen food. Personally I'm also added live pods to the tank to keep the population as high as possible.

The other thing to mention when feeding is that seahorses are not active feeders. They will tend to stare at a bit of food for awhile before deciding to eat it. That's why you need to be careful what tank mates you have with them and why you will often need to target feed them.

Another common method for feeding them is to use a bowl with hitching posts around it. The frozen food is then dropped into this and the seahorses can then feed at will. Often you will have to train them to use the bowl. The best way to do this is to put some food in the bowl and then use a long pipette or turkey baster to target feed the seahorses and gradually lead them over to the bowl.

I plan on making bowls with tubes that go to the surface of the water above them. This way I can drop the defrosted food into the tube and it will slowly sink down into the bowl.

Tank equipment:
Seahorses are not strong swimmers and do not like too much water flow. I plan to have the main return pump in my nano tank coming out inside the LR stack. This way there will be a lot of flow through the rocks but it will be greatly diffused by the time it gets to the outside.

Skimmers are a hotly debated subject amongst seahorses owners. Seahorses are prone to a condition where they get air bubbles trapped inside them (which is fatal). There are some links that skimmers may increase the chances of this happening. However there is no proof either way and I have spoken to people who have been successfully keeping seahorses both with and without skimmers.

On the same subject it is important not to have any (if possible) micro bubbles in the tank so if you do use a skimmer make sure that all bubbles are remove from the output before it returns to the main display tank.

Breeding:
Most seahorses are fairly easy to breed but the difficultly or rearing fry varies between species. Some seahorses have a larval like stage (not quite but its similar) and others will give birth to fully formed versions of themselves. I cant give much more information on this as I dont know that much myself yet :)

Tank mates:
Tank mates (including CUC) have to be chosen with a lot of care. Crabs or any kind (including hermits) are a big no no.
If corals are to be added to the tank ensure they are ones that can survive lower light conditions and do not pack a big sting.
Make sure that any fish you include will not out compete the seahorses for food or be aggressive towards them.
Don't forget also that some seahorses species are not tropical so if you have a temperate species of seahorse you will need to find fish that are also from cooler waters.

After all that info i thought i would share some pictures of my seahorses with you.

Storm (H. barbouri)
12409her2.jpg

12409her5.jpg

Thunder (H. barbouri)
12409him7.jpg

20609pregthunder2.jpg

Drew (H. angustus)
200809fsh.jpg

20809fshfeeding.jpg

Spike (H. angustus)
20809msh2.jpg

20809malesh.jpg

Other tank mates
Pipefish
Pipefish.jpg

Merlin (mandarin)
20809merlin.jpg

Cleaner shrimp (Jackie & Chan)
20809jackie.jpg

Lucky my First baby
051009babysh3.jpg

051009babysh2.jpg

FTS
050709fts.jpg

Kelwoo

Wow Kelwoo, beautiful!! thanks for taking the time to share them :wub:

Aww, I wish my mom would let me keep seahorses :( . I have a ten-gallon tank w/ 3 guppies and 3 platies, but I was hoping to upsize soon (hopefully a Christmas present?!) and I've looked at some pictures of the dwarf seahorses and I think I'm in love :wub: . I've never done saltwater, so I'd have to maybe do some practicing first but, more to the point here, I love the seahorses!!

ADDED: Oh, and I think Thunder was aptly named! He looks like thunder.

Aww, I wish my mom would let me keep seahorses :( . I have a ten-gallon tank w/ 3 guppies and 3 platies, but I was hoping to upsize soon (hopefully a Christmas present?!) and I've looked at some pictures of the dwarf seahorses and I think I'm in love :wub: . I've never done saltwater, so I'd have to maybe do some practicing first but, more to the point here, I love the seahorses!!

ADDED: Oh, and I think Thunder was aptly named! He looks like thunder.

My Female
photo-8.jpg

DSC02213.jpg

The three of them...sadly the Little one past away and the male developed a bacterial infection as a result from a cut on his tail. My female is alive and healthy, and i am currently looking for a new male to add to the tank.
photo-3.jpg

Very handsome :good:

Connor could we have some photos of your tank and a fts pretty please

Seffie x

Full Tank Shot (The Chaeto that is at the top of the rocks is there cause the SH loves to cling onto it and feed from it, and it's full of copepods, so i dont want to go disturbing it; even though i think it's quiet unsightly)
photo-12.jpg

The Chaeto
photo-11.jpg

Left side of the tank
photo-10.jpg

Thanks Connor, looks like a great environment for a Seahorse - got any tips for people just thinking about a seahorse tank?

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back