Fish Of The Week - Dottybacks

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
Fish Of The Week

Dottybacks

Who will be first to post a photo?

Which is your favourite, my personal favourite, the Orchid dottyback :good:

Here you go GG, you ask, you get :D

:):):) Love Dottybacks! Added mine last to my tank at the same time as a flame angel. She's had a few head to head moments with my sixline, but they actually seem to be getting along really well now. She's a neon dottyback and absolutely beautiful.

I love the way they swim, very 'Eel like' which just adds interest to the tank because it's so different to the other fish, not sure if that goes for all dottybacks though. I don't think any pictures do them justice, because the purply lines are very very iridescent but here goes! As soon as she stays still long enough, I'll post a better photo :)

You can't see it in my pic but their dorsal fin forms a tiny little 'sail' towards the fish's tail. Also, they look very 'barracuda' like to me, the bottom jaw kinda protrudes. Very stunning fish at any rate! They also swim into all the crevices and rockwork (well mine does anyways) which is great if say you're accostumed to clown fish (who really refuse to appreciate a good aquascape lol)!

My Neon Dottyback
photo3.jpg

Pic from web
http://www.petleaderscyprus.com/assets/images/Pseudochromi__Aldabraensis__Neon_Dotty_Back_.jpg

My dottyback has started some really interesting behaviour. I has managed to squeeze itself into the most impossible places but now it's also creating caves under the rock! I witnessed her digging the sand bed and actually saw her create a small cave that goes from one side of my LR to the other (the rock is on the glass but it's arched)!!! Great fun to watch! She also pokes her head out of the strangest places!

Anyone have any other dottys? Orchid? Indigo? Bicolour? Splendid?

ughh...my Neon (or Arabian) Dottyback, Pseudochromis aldabrensis, was a frickin nightmare!!!

It was an impulse purchase and as soon as it was in the tank it was hunting down my peppermint shrimp! I had to tear my tank down to get it out and banished it to to a bucket with a powerhead and rock. The next morning it was stuck to the powerhead :( Poor fishy and I wasted $50 in birthday money from my grandparents! I will NEVER EVER impulse purchase again.

287.jpg

:( sounds like a nightmare! I have read that they can eat ornamental shrimp. Think it's a bit hit and miss with them. Mine is not aggressive at all, getting along with the other tank mates (think it's a combination of having a large flame angel and also adding the dottyback last to the tank). She's also met both of my peppermint shrimp and seems to not care too much (knock on wood)! :)

Any new dottybacks?

I havent gone mad, bumping all these- fish of the week - Lewis is collecting them all together to add the links :good:

Most reactions

Back