Fish naming.....

Most of mine aren’t individually identifiable so probably need group names.

12 Long Fin WCMMs (4m8f): The Disciples or The Jurors or The Angry Men?..or suggestions welcome?
9 Medaka (Orange n white. 3m6f): Suggestions welcome. The Yazuka?
10 Mosquito Fish (4m6f): Suggestions welcome. Carolina Panthers? Cape Fear related?

3 Guppies (3m):
Ronnie and Reggie. Brothers both all black with white underbellys. They look as if they’re wearing white shirts beneath black suits like in The Krays photograph by David Bailey. For our non Brit readers The Krays were two notorious East London gangsters in the 50s-60s. There’s been a few films made about them.
Roger Mellie. Longest serving tank resident whose brother Finbar Saunders was evicted in disgrace for bullying the other two original tank residents: Johnny Fartpants (RIP) and his brother Buster Gonad(RIP). Finbar now lives in the house on the corner in a 6’ tank with a selection of Guppies, Mollies and Swordfins where his behaviour has apparently improved.
For non Brit readers they were characters in a silly comic aimed at grown ups who really weren’t. Viz it was called. Mrs Lurch was doing a Viz Comic jigsaw to Pass the time in early lockdown when purchased.

It took me six hours today to move all ten Mosquitofish over to their species tank. The main tank was a bit to hectic for them. I’ve seen more of them in the last two hours than I did in their two months in the main tank.
A species tank was always the plan but C19 delivery problems meant the Mosquitos arrived before The Medakas.
Netting the mosquitos wasn’t the problem. It was netting them without someone else leaping into the net at the same time that took so long.

Last edited:
I name all of my bettas, or fish that stand out.
Blue marble betta - Sailor
GLObetta - Finnegan
Crown Tail - Ugly (beautiful colors, but his face is ugly as sin)
Plat Dragon - Paddy
Femal BN Pleco - Sticker
EB Jack Dempsey - Unnamed, but thinking of options
Harlequin Shoal - the Clowns

My old betta was named Bilbo, in his tank there were two cories, named Ori and Nori. (It rhymes)
One of my cories is named the MandoCoryan! My goldfish is named Finn. Both the Star Wars character and a pun!

Most of mine aren’t individually identifiable so probably need group names.

12 Long Fin WCMMs (4m8f): The Disciples or The Jurors or The Angry Men?..or suggestions welcome?
9 Medaka (Orange n white. 3m6f): Suggestions welcome. The Yazuka?
10 Mosquito Fish (4m6f): Suggestions welcome. Carolina Panthers? Cape Fear related?

3 Guppies (3m):
Ronnie and Reggie. Brothers both all black with white underbellys. They look as if they’re wearing white shirts beneath black suits like in The Krays photograph by David Bailey. For our non Brit readers The Krays were two notorious East London gangsters in the 50s-60s. There’s been a few films made about them.
Roger Mellie. Longest serving tank resident whose brother Finbar Saunders was evicted in disgrace for bullying the other two original tank residents: Johnny Fartpants (RIP) and his brother Buster Gonad(RIP). Finbar now lives in the house on the corner in a 6’ tank with a selection of Guppies, Mollies and Swordfins where his behaviour has apparently improved.
For non Brit readers these were all characters in a silly comic aimed at grown ups who really weren’t. Viz it was called. Mrs Lurch was doing a Viz Comic jigsaw to Pass the time in early lockdown when they were bought.

It took me six hours today to move all ten Mosquitofish over to their species tank. The main tank was a bit to hectic for them. I’ve seen more of them in the last two hours than I did in their two months in the main tank.
A species tank was always the plan but C19 delivery problems meant the Mosquitos arrived before The Medakas.
Netting the mosquitos wasn’t the problem. It was netting them without someone else leaping into the net at the same time that took so long.
I like ‘the jury’ for your 12.

Names:

Betta (profile picture): Ace
Albino BNP: Alabaster
Zebra Danio: Comet

All other schooling fish I refer to as, “The Gang”. :big_boss:

I got

Pleco Pete - common pleco bout 13 inches
Brushy Bill - Albino Bristlenose
Timmy - Another Bristlenose
Lamont - A female Bristlenose
Jack - An Electric Blue Jack Dempsy
Pierpont - a Kribensis
Jewels - A Jewel Cichlid
Polly - A Peacock Cichlid
Al Capone - A Convict Ciclid
Pepper Jack - A peppered cory

I stopped naming them after this...haha. Endless mollies, tetras and a few pea puffers. Got danios too. Lotsa fish. Had a green severum named Oscar...but he died last summer from hole in the head....

I've always named the cool ones.

I stopped naming them after this...haha. Endless mollies, tetras and a few pea puffers. Got danios too. Lotsa fish. Had a green severum named Oscar...but he died last summer from hole in the head....
Yup, no way to keep track of all those Tetras. ;)

I haven't given names to fish for years, over a decade even. But that streak may well be broken thanks to a stowaway female guppy that found her way into my tank by accident when I picked up a couple of mystery snails.

I've entertained the idea of naming her Vagrant as she "aimlessly wandered" into the tank.

Might name others as everything currently in the aquarium is individually distinct enough, but it'd quickly get uneven once more fish get added that all look the same (i.e. shoaling species). Right now I could pull it off if I REALLY wanted to but, eh.

There are very few fish I have named

Breeding pair of discus: Credit and Debit. Because they cost a fortune and one was paid for on the debit card the other on the credit card.
Our Oscar. Charlie. He would jump out of the water at feeding time, and he was just a good mate.
Suicidal fish: Goldfish: He has jumped out of every tank he has every been in and now lives in a pond.

I name any fish that interacts with me. All our angels have names Gentle Ben, Stripe, Spot, Bluet, Dusty, and the B*tch, as do our female bettas Madi, and Cami, and our one freshwater Goby affectionately known as Digger. My tetras are mostly known by individual traits, such as the small black neon with poor coloration, but they don't have a names. Our dwarf neon rainbows are just known as male or female. The named fish come to the front of the tank when I walk into the room, the unnamed ones ignore me unless I have food.

Most reactions

trending

Back