Fish Mystery??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

UnknownFishies

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Can black skirt tetras eat the skeleton of another black skirt?? Because I cannot find my small black skirt anywhere. Iā€™m going to remove decorations and test the ammonia to see if the body is still there but I couldnā€™t even find a body. Anyone have any ideas on what happened? Iā€™m assuming heā€™s dead because I havenā€™t seen him eat in like 3-4 days...

If he hasn't eaten for that long and you haven't seen him, he has likely passed away, however you need to find the fish and remove him or else the decomposing body will continue to cause problems. I am very sorry for your loss.

Other fish will eat the meat off the bones but they don't normally eat the skeleton. Bigger fish might but the other black skirts won't eat the bones.

If he hasn't eaten for that long and you haven't seen him, he has likely passed away, however you need to find the fish and remove him or else the decomposing body will continue to cause problems. I am very sorry for your loss.
i will check now that i am home. iā€™m gonna do a water change, check my levels and try and find the body... thank you for your compassion

well, i completely emptied the decorations from my tank... no fish body. checked the filter... no fish body... dug the gravel... no fish skeleton. but the good news is that my ammonia is 0 so my fish are safe. still sad about my fish though

well, i completely emptied the decorations from my tank... no fish body. checked the filter... no fish body... dug the gravel... no fish skeleton. but the good news is that my ammonia is 0 so my fish are safe. still sad about my fish though
That is very strange... I've never heard of that happening before. I'm sorry you can't find him and I'm sorry that he is gone, but it is a good thing that the ammonia levels are down. I hope you will be able to find him at some point. Best wishes, Nele.

I'm sorry about your loss. It happens sometimes. Good that the ammonia level is okay now though!

That is very strange... I've never heard of that happening before. I'm sorry you can't find him and I'm sorry that he is gone, but it is a good thing that the ammonia levels are down. I hope you will be able to find him at some point. Best wishes, Nele.
thanks... itā€™s definitely sad... my mom was upset because it was her favorite fish.

it probably died, got eaten and the bones are mixed in with the substrate or in the filter.

I had the same issue, just got some zebra danios, and couldnā€™t find one for the life of me, finally found him the next day on the ground dried up and crusty. I felt pretty bad.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back