Fish-Less Cycle Need Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PiranhaGirl

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing a fish-less cycle. 

Here is a quick timeline....

January 19th-20th: All items for our filter came in, cut holes in the glass, set up the filter, setup the tank, monitored for leaks and such since it was a DIY. Had a couple slow leaks here and there, and fixed them. In the process of trying to find pure ammonia. Placed some media from the other tank in the filter prematurely (no ammonia for it to feed off of). 

January  21st - 29th: Self employed...fish tank took a back seat...couldn't find pure ammonia... water in fish tank slowly evaporating and tank becomes cloudy... 

January 30th (Last Night): Husband and I finally decided to tank care of the tank again... decide to use the fish food method in a net. I know it's not ideal, but I was tired of going from store to store only to find scented and surfactants in the ammonia. Some of our hoses needed to be cut shorter and we cleaned everything up so no cords or hoses could be seen. Then we filled the tank back up, added some of the plants from my other tank, put another piece of media from my other tank into the new tank filter and added the fish food to the net. 

Today: Tested the water around 10:00 AM and not sure where to go from here considering I wasn't expecting the readings I got... Please go easy on me this is my first time doing a fish-less cycle as i am new to the hobby...

Ammonia - 0.25 PPM
NitrIte - 2.0 PPM
NitrAte - 10.0 PPM
Water Temp - 80 Degrees

Where do I go from here???

You are doing great!

First, increase the temp to about 84F.  The bacteria prefer slightly higher temps.  

Second, how much fish food did you add?  It would seem you are in the US.  If so, try Ace Hardware for pure ammonia (9.5% ammonium hydroxide solution).  This will make the dosing much easier, but isn't necessary.

Third, keep up with the testing so that you can see trends in your numbers.  Testing every 24 hours right now would be good.  Also, test your tap water after letting it sit for about 24 hours.  

What's your pH?

eaglesaquarium said:
You are doing great!

First, increase the temp to about 84F.  The bacteria prefer slightly higher temps.  

Second, how much fish food did you add?  It would seem you are in the US.  If so, try Ace Hardware for pure ammonia (9.5% ammonium hydroxide solution).  This will make the dosing much easier, but isn't necessary.

Third, keep up with the testing so that you can see trends in your numbers.  Testing every 24 hours right now would be good.  Also, test your tap water after letting it sit for about 24 hours.  

What's your pH?
I tried ACE and in our area they actually have surfactants in it... I can't explain it, someone obviously wanted me to do this the hard way!
sad.png

Our tap water is also terrible! It has a PH of 8.8 and all other kinds of wonderful things it that was making a fish tank more difficult to take care of so I use bottled Spring water instead which I have tested as well. It's only a 12 gallon tank so I'm not to concerned with the amount/cost of the water. 

Just curious what was your reasoning behind testing the tap water after letting it sit for 24hours? 

PH is 7.8

By the way thanks for responding and your help!
smile.png

The pH can (and usually does) change while sitting out as dissolved gases trapped in the tap water have a chance to "gas off" after sitting for a period of time.

Ever notice that when you fill up the tank with the tap water, there will be air bubbles showing up on the glass, and any other surface under the water?  Wonder what that was?  It's carbon dioxide, chlorine, etc.  Each of these can affect your pH.  So, by leaving it sit for 24 hours allows you to get a better sense of your water long term when its in the tank, as most of these gases will not stay in the tank for long.

eaglesaquarium said:
The pH can (and usually does) change while sitting out as dissolved gases trapped in the tap water have a chance to "gas off" after sitting for a period of time.

Ever notice that when you fill up the tank with the tap water, there will be air bubbles showing up on the glass, and any other surface under the water?  Wonder what that was?  It's carbon dioxide, chlorine, etc.  Each of these can affect your pH.  So, by leaving it sit for 24 hours allows you to get a better sense of your water long term when its in the tank, as most of these gases will not stay in the tank for long.
Thanks for the info. I'm aware of most of what you stated but did not know that it affected the PH.... How much of a difference in the PH does it usually make.? Our tap water is at the very least an 8.8 PH when testing straight from the Tap... I can't see it lowering enough to the needs of my fish by letting it sit out. 

Only one way to find out...
wink.png

High pH like that is actually very good for some fish, so depending on if you have your heart set on certain fish, or if you are open to other options, you could still have a great tank with your tap water...

Lake Tanganyika has pH that averages 8.4!  Its been measured as high as over 9, so it can work for you.  
Also, Lake Malawi has a high pH, slightly lower than Tanganyika.  So, options do exist.  How big is your tank?

12 gallon tank...it is completely cycled now...Completed in just under two weeks. I even waited a little while to make sure I wasn't having a mini cycle, but all my readings appear to be good. I guess placing the media in the filter in putting some items from my other tank in there really did the trick. 

Ammonia 0ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 20ppm
PH 7.8
Temp 77F

The fish I want and already have require a lower PH so bottled spring water it is. 

Glad to hear that you are cycled!!!

Sorry to hear that you need to do the spring water route, that's gotta cost money!  In my local grocery store, I can get distilled water for less than $1 per gallon.  Perhaps mixing that with your tap water would be a more feasible option?  

eaglesaquarium said:
Glad to hear that you are cycled!!!

Sorry to hear that you need to do the spring water route, that's gotta cost money!  In my local grocery store, I can get distilled water for less than $1 per gallon.  Perhaps mixing that with your tap water would be a more feasible option?  
I think the spring water is $0.89 a gallon and since its a smaller tank it won't be to bad. We don't even drink the water our selves... it tastes beyond bad, not even a brita filter helps. 

Most reactions

Back