Fish Injury Identification

Gemtrox42

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 9, 2020
Messages
147
Reaction score
13
Points
18
Location
United States
Hello,

I have a 29g tank with cardinal tetras, two honey gourami (one red), 5 pygmy corys, a clown pleco, shrimp and assassin snails. I have a gravel bottom, driftwood, and a mix of live & fake plants and two fake logs, one floating.

Something happened to one of my gourami within the last 20 hours. I'll attach photos. The gourami behaves differently too. Its slower, tends to hover in place, and doesn't react to my presence. Injuries are only visible on that side. I've never seen anything like this before in my tank, but I know gouramis will sometimes fight each other and can cause injuries. However, both have been together for almost three months now and I've never seen them fight. They rarely even run away from one another when approached, unlike previous gourami I've had who were constantly posturing.

I'd also like some suggestions explaining what looks like an air bubble on the bottom right if possible.
20211109_172632.webp


Thanks for the help!
 

Attachments

  • 20211109_172640.webp
    20211109_172640.webp
    116.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20211109_172655.webp
    20211109_172655.webp
    111 KB · Views: 129
  • 20211109_172718.webp
    20211109_172718.webp
    68.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 20211109_172720.webp
    20211109_172720.webp
    69.5 KB · Views: 154
Please can we see the other gourami?
 
Since I posted this, their condition has deteriorated rapidly, and I made the decision to euthanize the gourami. While incredibly sad, this did give me a chance to take very clear pictures. Hopefully this will help me find out the cause and give closure.
Please can we see the other gourami?
The tank is asleep right now, but if you want to know if there are any marks on the other gourami, there aren't. I can get pictures tomorrow if you still want them.
 

Attachments

  • 20211109_202614.webp
    20211109_202614.webp
    69 KB · Views: 149
  • 20211109_202625.webp
    20211109_202625.webp
    113.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20211109_202640.webp
    20211109_202640.webp
    81.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 20211109_202657.webp
    20211109_202657.webp
    69.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20211109_202717.webp
    20211109_202717.webp
    83.1 KB · Views: 141
It's either a physical injury, possibly caused by the fish getting stuck under or behind something. Or it's a bacterial infection. However, if the tank has been set up for a while and you haven't added anything new to the tank in the last 2 weeks, it is unlikely to be bacterial.
 
It's either a physical injury, possibly caused by the fish getting stuck under or behind something. Or it's a bacterial infection. However, if the tank has been set up for a while and you haven't added anything new to the tank in the last 2 weeks, it is unlikely to be bacterial.
After looking more, I think this was an injury from physical trauma. The dark spot in my second set of pictures is noticeably larger and darker, which I'd think indicates internal bleeding. That would also explain the rather rapid health decline.

I'll look for anything that mightve been moved out of place, either because it fell on him or he got trapped under it. I'd think a wound that bad would have a noticeable cause.
Is it possible it had a mishap with the filter intake.
I don't think so. I have a steel cage around the intake that keeps large objects from getting sucked in. My cherry shrimp crawl on it all the time and don't get sucked in place by the current.
 
The tank is asleep right now, but if you want to know if there are any marks on the other gourami, there aren't. I can get pictures tomorrow if you still want them.
Sorry for your loss😔

In terms of the chances of aggression I was wondering if your red honey gourami was indeed Trichogaster chuna, or if you had been mis-sold Trichogaster Labiosa. The latter would be more aggressive as it matured, especially if also a male.
 
Sorry for your loss😔

In terms of the chances of aggression I was wondering if your red honey gourami was indeed Trichogaster chuna, or if you had been mis-sold Trichogaster Labiosa. The latter would be more aggressive as it matured, especially if also a male.
Oh man that is a good question. Just looked at pictures of both and minus the colors they look virtually identical. How can you tell the difference? I'd like to know so I don't make a mistake buying them in the future
 
As they are so similar it is best to ask the store to see their invoice that came with them to check the scientific name. There may be people on here who could distinguish them but I'm not one of them 😁.
 
Well just in case, here's some pics of the other.

I also just remembered two other times I had fish with physical wounds, albeit nothing as severe as this.

I can't find anything that mightve fallen on him. I just can't imagine how he got so badly hurt.
 

Attachments

  • 20211110_174804.webp
    20211110_174804.webp
    155 KB · Views: 119
  • 20211110_174803.webp
    20211110_174803.webp
    130.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 20211110_174758.webp
    20211110_174758.webp
    109.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 20211110_174754.webp
    20211110_174754.webp
    152 KB · Views: 123
  • 20211110_174749.webp
    20211110_174749.webp
    224.4 KB · Views: 124

Most reactions

Back
Top