Fish Identification

vVHenryVv

New Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi guys, my dad brought home a fish from his office aquarium for my home aquarium two days back. I have no idea what it is. I managed to capture a few photos of it with my lousy 3.2 megapixel phone camera. Here they are:

Image192.jpg

Image191.jpg

Image193.jpg


I have never seen it before, but its body has red and black bands, and it looks like an elongated version of a cherry barb. It has a much bigger head though.
I'm not sure whether the pictures are clear enough, but I think they should suffice. The little fellow was darting around the tank making it hard for me to snap some shots.
 
The pics do not show up well on my computer, but judging from the shape, you could have anything from a flying fox, Pencil fish, or chinese algea eater.
 
Yea it looks like a snakehead to me. Should I remove it from my aquarium ASAP? It didn't hurt any fishes yet but I wouldn't want that to happen. I doubt I can raise it in a 20 gallon tank anyway...
 
Agreed that is a channa micropeltes, it will grow to over three foot in length, It is an exstremely predatory fish, That is a juvi, just google the name to see how they look when they mature, they are sooo sexy, however will need a huge tank for themselves once they grow, I would highly reccomend either returning it to the shop,where you brought it from or speaking with an aqaurium and see if they will rehome it!
Where are you located???
 
Also agreed, That fish will soon become the only fish left in your aquarium. Whilst they are lovely fish (banned in the states) they are large predators.
Maybe better to re-home
Regards
BigC
 
Nah, I'm not from the United Kingdom. I fished it out this afternoon without a single casualty - Phew!
It's left outside in my dad's pond with his koi, I doubt it will do much damage given its small size. My dad's away and we'll rehome the little guy when he's back.

I'll never allow the snakehead near my angels. =D Thanks for IDing the fish for me guys!
 
One thing you mustn't do is release that fish into the wild
ATB
C
 
We do have them in the wild. I've seen and eaten the adults before. I just haven't seen their fry, didn't expect the little red fellow to grow into an ugly monster.
 
Mate could you tell me where your located, problem is these guy's will and do escape from waterway's crawl across land until they fine somewhere there happy with., do not release it into the wild or a garden pond unless your without a dought it will not escape, even if you are in Asia including India, Thailand, Burma and Malaysia, Reasing it somewhere where you did not find it would be catastropic, they will desimate local wild life, this is why they are banned in most of the country's around the world...
 
I'm based in Asia and these fishes do not really pose a problem here. In fact, they are overfished in some parts of Asia. The thing is, we experience frequent downpours and, there is a slim chance of the fish surviving our waterways with the other much bigger snakeheads living in them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top