Fish Experiment Suggestions?

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
657
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Well, turns out I cant do a research project with models in my Science fair project.

I need a experiment, related to fishes. And I need it fast. I have at least 7 weeks, to work and three have already passed.

Any suggestions? ): Also, could you leave what the question/topic name would be?

Ex.

'You could do --- about --'
Title : How a fish-- blah blah. :)

Fish related, please.
 
it really depends if its going to be something you demonstrate or put into a paper with stats and such.

idk anything about a demonstration...maybe fish memory or something.

as for a paper...you could do a paper on fish waste. how much is produced and use test kits to show it. you would need a control tank. maybe two quick growing fish of the same species that are fed diff foods and discuss growth rates under certain conditions. perhaps a paper talking about fish dominance...and pecking orders? its hard because you have 4 weeks left.

do some searches on google and im sure youll find something. use your imagination...its deff possible.
 
Hmmm, can you train a fish in such a small time - thats an experiment in itself i recon.

"Can a fish learn when its dinner time?"

Use something that floats as a training tool. Whenever you are about to feed the fish, place the training tool (small lego brick, or ping pong ball for example). Then feed.

- the fish should associate the training tool with being fed, and therefore when you place the training tool in the tank they will start to come to the surface etc.

Took me about 2 weeks to get my gouramis to do this. I liked to get them up to the surface to check their dangly bits. (no idea what they are called)
 
But then it has to do something about science. o_o;

Could I possibly do , 'How a fish can live longer, in a healthier environment.' (Includes filter, heater, airpumps, cycling, and such on.)

This was my original idea, but it turned into a project. so, experiment.

That'd work, right? It goes into bacteria.
 
just talking about the cycling process and how filters "kill" ammonia and nitrites would be good IMO...

the fish life thing would work too, the heater and motabolism and yada yada lol...

good luck, i wish i was into fish during my younger years lol
 
Metabolism?
Also, dcar, if I were to write about metabolism, what would I write? XD, I'm not really sure about that though.

Yeah, I dont know why. My friends like hockey, and are proud dog owners.

and i'm in the corner with a sign saying 'proud swordtail breeder ):'
reminds me, i got to get my male swordtail another ladyfriend.
 
You could do genetics, ie: cross a green swordtail with a red swordtail and show the different coloured young. You would have to keep the water really warm to speed up the process tho.

Perhaps breed shrimp and show the different stages of growth including when they change from plankton stage and metamorphose before settling on the bottom.
You could do something similar with brineshrimp. Show their lifecycle from egg to adult and back to egg again. Under good conditions the adult female brineshrimp will produce live young, but when conditions deteriorate they produce eggs that dry out before they can hatch.
Daphnia would be similar and grow faster and are easier to keep.

You could culture infusoria and show them under a microscope. They are pretty funny looking little things.

edited for the metabolism thing.
you could show how fish slow down when kept in cooler water. They eat less and produce less waste because their metabolism isn't running as quick as it would in warmer water.
 
^^ With genetics, it'll take a week to ship, and then wouldn't it take like a month to breed? That isn't enough time, for me.
And, I was never good with breeding shrimp.


@metabolism : So, I get two little tanks, and then have each at a diff. temp? See how it affects them?
 
Hmmm, can you train a fish in such a small time - thats an experiment in itself i recon.

"Can a fish learn when its dinner time?"

I have this one little tetra, he came to me in a bag of plants i got one day. And hes smarter then whip. He hangs around in his ridiculously over sized 245 gallon long home, he follows me whenever i walk to either side of the room, always comes up to the top when i walk up to the tank, knows exactly when hes getting fed, will even let me pet him and swim through my fingers. Its either the dumbest fish ever, or its got an excellent memory, and a terrifically happy disposition.

You can quote me on that for your study :good:
Or don't i don't want you to fail.


EDIT: I know that sounds ridiculous, don't worry, hes not the only fish in that tank lol.
 
Metabolism?
Also, dcar, if I were to write about metabolism, what would I write? XD, I'm not really sure about that though.

Yeah, I dont know why. My friends like hockey, and are proud dog owners.

and i'm in the corner with a sign saying 'proud swordtail breeder ):'
reminds me, i got to get my male swordtail another ladyfriend.

metabolism and growth rate with fry or something lol idk where i was going with it...i just left it open for you too look into lol

yea all my frineds laugh at me until they see my 4ft tank and they say, 'ok i guess its cool' lol
 
@metabolism : So, I get two little tanks, and then have each at a diff. temp? See how it affects them?
Pretty much.
The more tanks you set up the more accurate your results will be but 2 tanks would work. Set them both up together next to each other and set them up exactly the same, using the same gravel, plants, everything.
Have one tank set a couple of degrees Celsius lower than the other and then introduce some fish into each tank. The fish should be the same type and bought at the same time from the same place.
Try to keep a group of 10 fish in each tank so you can get an average of how they do. If you only have one or two fish in each tank then the differences can be put down to the individual fish. If you have more fish then the differences will average out and give more accurate results.
Measure the amount of food each tank is given and if possible measure the amount of poo they do or gunk that is removed from the tank.
You could also monitor the water quality during the experiment and see how the different temperatures affect the water quality. If the tanks are newly set up then you might see a difference in the filter development. There could also be an overall relationship between temperature, food intake and water quality.
You could also monitor how much water evaporates from each tank and if you have plants, then monitor them for differences in growth.

I did a similar experiment with Gambusia some years ago. However, I compared the amount of mozzie larvae Gambusia eat compared to other livebearers like mollies, guppies and platies. Needless to say the Gambusia came out worse and ate the least amount of mozzie larvae. So much for them being introduced as a mosquito control agent. Mollies would have been a better choice.
 
Hey Colin,
thanks for all the info! But sadly, I can't really get my hands on like, a 5g or even, two 3-2g's. (I could probably get my hands on one.)
-- parents. X____x

Now what. All I have is a little betta container thing, and i could get a 2-3g.

There's always one flaw, and it's been three weeks. ):
I'll try the cycling thing, perhaps 'How cycling can affect fish?'
But then, if I show it as a model, (Two tanks and fish,) One cycled and one not is just cruel. ):
 
you could do one on the cycling process and how temperature relates to that. You can do fishless cycling and there would be no fish involved.
Keep both tanks the same and right down the results of the water tests each day.
 
I'll try the cycling idea.

You think I could do like, a 3-2g tank. Cycle it, and everyday I test its water parameters? (As my hypothesis, and experiment?)
But if I'm doing an experiment like that, what would the goal be? like, the question.

ex. random topic :
What gum lasts longer?
-- and then the info.

in my case, :
----- <-- What would this be?
-write about what happend each day,
 

Most reactions

Back
Top