Fish dying one by one - Cycled tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

its certain alright this guy fluffed up by crashing his tank

the fish diseases should of been the OP'S top priority BEFORE ANY FILTER CHANGES
If there was disease - which we cannot be sure there was... he clearly thought he was helping the issue by getting new clean filters and trying some type of disease med. These had no effect or negative effects but he clearly tried.

We cannot be CERTAIN that the cycle crash is what caused all the deaths - though the sequence of events points to it... it doesn't PROVE it.

Either way - right now we need to offer possible SOLUTIONS to the problem... which is tough within itself but we ALWAYS need to start by improving the water quality. Removing the dead/dying fish and plants, and getting a hold on the cycle. Most of the fish are already dead so we just want to get this tank back up and running if he wants to keep the remaining stock.

we can be totally certain the system crashing resulted in the loss of alot of these fish
We can presume that the failing water quality contributed to the deaths of the fish- but there could be disease playing a factor here too. It's impossible to rule that out right now.

disease was a factor but nothing was done about it when it first happened but one disease isn't gonna kill all those fish where as human ideocracy caused this

disease was a factor but nothing was done about it when it first happened but one disease isn't gonna kill all those fish where as human ideocracy caused this
You just butchered the use of the word "ideocracy" whilst trying to hurl a personal insult at someone who needs help. Take it easy. Again - we need to offer SOLUTIONS at this point... not insults and blame. Those do not help now. Period.

Letā€™s keep it cool here people.

Letā€™s try to help suicidal_maniac resolve thier current situation.

Would suggest a large water change, good clean of the algae off the tank glass and plants if they can and perhaps replace a few of these plants and add some floating plants as well.

Would be a start in the right direction I think.

It could be toxic ammonia and/or toxic nitrite levels. I would test your water for ammonia and nitrites, if the levels are toxic, then do 3, 50% water changes. It could be a viral disease? Are the fish showing any signs of illness.

If this was my aquarium, I would be inclined to remove some of the water to temp hold the surviving fish whilst I broke down the main aquarium completely, sterilised it and all equipment within it thoroughly and start again from scratch

By sterilising the aquarium and all equipment you will knock any potential medical reasons on the head...incase that is why everything tipped over the edge

I would treat it as a completely new setup...new substrate, new plants, new rocks etc. Refill with water, catch the fish, throw the old water that they were kept in temporarily away and not into the aquarium and complete a fish-in cycle....could take anything to 4-5 months to fully cycle with the fish, but that is what has to happen to get it done right, the fish might not survive but that will be down to the cycle process being detrimental to fish rather than anything else.

Once fully cycled start adding a few fish at a time over many weeks, water changes of 50% weekly, rinse the media in old removed aquarium water and only replace when physically falling to bits.....fish like Otto's could be added a year from now since they need a fully cycled and fully matured, 6+ months from end of cycle, aquarium.

Folks, Iā€™m totally appreciative of the help, but some back ground on me here, Iā€™m 51 Iā€™ve had a fish tanks on and off since my teens including marine with all extra fun of keeping one of them brings, yes I should have known not to change all the filter media but again the fish were dying and I panicked, the tank water was regularly checked and all was well before the new fish were addedā€¦had been fir months the tank was over a year old with a happy community no deaths so I have presume cycled. I only changed the filter media when my original stock started dying, if they were in the same condition of water they were ok for months why then start dying when the new fish were added? The original filter set up was still there all the water tests were fine, there must be a link to the new fish and mine dying, nothing else had changed in the tank
If I nuke it which unfortunately I do feel is where this will ultimately end as Iā€™m not putting more fish in and if these die when Iā€™m checking the water daily then, the grim reaper wins
Never faced this situation before.
But why is my endlers oblivious to the whole thing, happy as can be, no stress eating fine , no issues

7DDD9659-D6C5-45A9-B2F6-9CE3188B5C57.jpeg

Attachments

• FC7B94C7-6ED2-4B99-8C75-23063221F435.jpeg
    FC7B94C7-6ED2-4B99-8C75-23063221F435.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 33
Folks, Iā€™m totally appreciative of the help, but some back ground on me here, Iā€™m 51 Iā€™ve had a fish tanks on and off since my teens including marine with all extra fun of keeping one of them brings, yes I should have known not to change all the filter media but again the fish were dying and I panicked, the tank water was regularly checked and all was well before the new fish were addedā€¦had been fir months the tank was over a year old with a happy community no deaths so I have presume cycled. I only changed the filter media when my original stock started dying, if they were in the same condition of water they were ok for months why then start dying when the new fish were added? The original filter set up was still there all the water tests were fine, there must be a link to the new fish and mine dying, nothing else had changed in the tank
If I nuke it which unfortunately I do feel is where this will ultimately end as Iā€™m not putting more fish in and if these die when Iā€™m checking the water daily then, the grim reaper wins
Never faced this situation before.
But why is my endlers oblivious to the whole thing, happy as can be, no stress eating fine , no issues
problem being you changed all the filter media at once.

problem being you changed all the filter media at once.
Think the OP gets the message.

He has already acknowledged his regret in changing the filter media. Itā€™s understandable under the circumstances.

It does not really matter at this point now about the cause, being either itā€™s down to OTS, disease and/or media may have played their parts.

Underline it and move on, letā€™s take thing going forwards in suggesting how best to get the tank back on track for the good of the surviving livestock .

I have an endlers guppy who seems to be immune to whatever's going on, and one female guppy who is surviving at the moment but I think she is infected with whatever it is.

There's also about 10 guppy fry in there as well who seem fine.

My take on it is this

The tank stock was fine for the time leading up to the new fish being added, no deaths or illnesses in the previous months.

The day after the new fish were added one of the new fish died, then during the next week the other new fish died, then my original fish started to get ill and I panicked and did the filter change which upset the cycle.

So I'm leaning towards I introduced some sort of disease or parasite then crashed or bumped the cycle. I think the disease/parasite is still there and I'm treating with NDX.

I could set up my spare tank, but as I did the filter change nearly a month ago I think by the time I get another tank ready the cycle will have recovered in the existing tank.

I think I keep going trying to get the water back in spec in the existing tank, and hope the cycle recovers
Ok so Iā€™m no expert,but I think the fact you panicked has been the mistake,and we all make it.
I think your pH is or was the important factor here.
The new fish were in a tank with a much lower pH,so adding them to your tank basically messed them up,in other words pH shock.
Your original fish would be used to the pH level,and therefore weā€™re fine,but seeing the new fish die panicked you,so you did what you thought was right by changing out the filter,causing a crash,which now affects your original stock.A domino effect if you like.
Thatā€™s the only feasible thing I can think of.
I did the same thing only a week or so ago when I changed from gravel to sand.I changed it all at once and caused a mini cycle,but luckily my pH us so low it stopped the ammonia hurting the fish.Your pH is high so even a trace of ammonia can do damage.
Do a big water change,say 90% and then a 50-60% for the next few days.
Donā€™t even look at parameters other wise you could convince yourself itā€™s fine,when it might not be 24hrs later.
Have you checked the pH at source?
If itā€™s high then avoid catfish,donā€™t go trying to lower it,keep it simple.
We all make mistakes,members want to remember thisšŸ‘

Most reactions

Back