Fish Being Damaged

mr130gallon

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Location
Winnipeg
my fish

1 betta splendens
1 ticto barb
4 rosy barbs (2 male, 2 female)
4 zebra danios (3 female, 1 male)
1 pictus catfish
2 bristlenose cats
1 red clawed crab

ok, the injured fish are

the pictus catfish has both of the ends of its long barbels broken, the ends are still attached but it looks like its about to fall off, one of the barbels i can see small bite marks on it.

the betta splendens has his caudal fin split in half (its not natural) and that happened 2 days before the pictus' accident

one of the bristlenose cats has its caudal fin split and that happened same day as pictus' accident


the possible culprits are

the pictus is territorial and could have done it but the rips on the betta and BN cats are small, his mouth would make a chunk fall out.
the ticto barb has been somewhat of a bully to my 2 male rosy barbs, so he may have also attacked them.


any opinions? i want to remove the culprit before my fish are all destroyed

i think it may be the crab, would that make sense
 
Barbs are notorious fin nippers. I didn't think the crab would be fast enough to catch the fish but if you're talking about bites then maybe it is...
 
I would put my money on the crab, I went on my fish shops advice that they are fully aquatic creature and that they wouldn't ever eat fish....

Well they aren't even close to fully aquatic, and I've actually seen them 'fishing'.

I recommend re-homing the crabs and I think you'll see the problem dissappears.
 
going to hijack your post mr130gallon as I have found my Dwarf Gourami and Bolivian Ram with split fins this morning. Theres been no new additions to the tank for me to easily lay the blame. other tank members are 5 columbian tetra (timid), 4 zebra danios (mad), 5 corys and another bolivian ram (timid). Is it fin nipping or can other factors create split fins??
 
i would put money on the crab!!

going to hijack your post mr130gallon as I have found my Dwarf Gourami and Bolivian Ram with split fins this morning. Theres been no new additions to the tank for me to easily lay the blame. other tank members are 5 columbian tetra (timid), 4 zebra danios (mad), 5 corys and another bolivian ram (timid). Is it fin nipping or can other factors create split fins??

what decorations do you have in the tank?
i wouldn't let the tetras off completely either!!!
 
nothing sharp in there that i'm aware of.. the tetra's don't seem to do anything at all in the tank. maybe they are getting bored and lashing out, havent witnessed it though. And they are getting quite big now.. could do some serious damage :/ Any disease that would cause fins to split?
 
not that that i am aware of! i would put my money on the crab as well.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top