Fish are dying and can't figure out why HELP!!!!

thumphreys

Reaction score
:rolleyes: Hi there my name is Trudy and i am trying to figure out why my koi and goldfish are dying. they will live for about a week then one at a time will die. My pond is about 3 weeks old. Can anyone give me a suggestion of what could be wrong? Thanks

How large is your pond - how many and what size are your koi and goldfish? You are cycling the pond with fish an so you really would be better off to have fewer fish then you would normally stock with... Do you have a test kit? If not it would be a good idea to get one that tests for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. If you can, post your results for these and we'll try to let you know where you are at. :)

ALASKA

perhaps doing some water changes of say 20 percent every few days may help the fish. Make sure that the water is treated too...

Why have you double posted this thread? Maybe lets all use the other thread which has more replies to make it all easier? :)

Stoopid question.....

how often do people change the water in their ponds? I mean for a 10,000 gallon pond like Ryan's.....that would be one huuge water change!

Maybe I should use another post but I am now also wondering how often maintenance is done on ponds.

big_fresh said:
Stoopid question.....

how often do people change the water in their ponds? I mean for a 10,000 gallon pond like Ryan's.....that would be one huuge water change!

Maybe I should use another post but I am now also wondering how often maintenance is done on ponds.
I have a massive filter system and when I want to water change I simply take the pump connection out and pump it out to the garden it does two thousand gallons an hour so..............then I keep the filter going with a small pump so the bacteria dosen't die then I simply fill it up from the hose with some/LOTS of dechlorinater. I have a good water rate on the house so its ok.

I'd do it once every 6 months. A 30% or maybe 40% water change unless it's a well maintaned and well established pond.

You need to start out with some cheap fish. Go to the store and get alot of cheap feeder gold fish and put them in the pond. Yes they will die but after 3 to 4 weeks they will stay alive. This helps the pond aclimate. After 4 weeks then you can add your koi. Dont start out with koi first or yes they will die. I went threw the same thing. Believe me start out with the cheap fish first. Good luck :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back