Firemouth breeding behaviour???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pleco-Heaven

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is this firemouth breeding behaviour? My 2 largest firemouths nearly always hang around together (follow each other around). The larger one (presumiably the male) often goes up to the smaller one and nips her, but she just takes it. They also try to keep the other firemouths as far away as possible without hardly moving. They always hang around the left side of the tank. Also the male (I think) some times ushers and protects the female (I think). The male is a bit larger,more colourful and has a pointier dorsal fin than the female. If this is breeding behaviour, how can I trigger spawning?

P.S By saying he or she I actually don't know I am just assuming roles.

sounds like they possibly could be getting ready to. what are you feeding them and what is your tank temp at? what size tank are they in now? any tankmates?

Just flake, but I got some frozen bloodworm and this high protein stuff but the protein stuff is a bugger to dish out and I suspected it raised my nitrites. For tankmates see 'Second tank'.
The Temperature keeps switching from 28-29 degrees C (82-84 F).
Now the male keeps pushing her away when he trying to forage, but the female always comes
back. It seems the male is chasing away most, but the female chases away some intruders. :flex: The female circles the male and they flare at each other.

first of all you need to stabilize the temp. firemouths will be easier to induce spawning at a higher temp. would also raise the temp to 86. the higher protein diet is good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back