Fire Eels

Nik

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have had a fire eel for about the last 6 months in a small 25 gallon tank shared with some pencil fish and a few breeding sunset platties. He is a fussy chap and will only eat white mosquito larvae. :sly:
Nevertheless I think he's great - he sits in the plants waiting to be fed :wub: when he's hungry.

Today I moved him into a 35 gallon set up with similar community fish as he never seems to eat small fry or attack young fish. I moved him becuase he hasn't really grown in size. He's currently about 20 cm long. Does anybody know how big these guys get and will the tank change induce a growth spurt? -_-

If anybody is interested I'll try and get a snap of this amusing eel?

Fire eels can get very big,they have been known to get to a meter in length (39") but in a tank a realistic size is no more than 24",the are very slow growers and as you know fussy eaters,if possible try to get the eel to eat other foods as well as glassworm (white mosquito larvae) is quite low in protien and will prevent the fish from growing to true potential,try feeding live river shrimp and chopped earthworms.When larger they often become predatory and will take small fish so keep with tankmates that are too large to swallow.
When kept in too smaller tank they often become shy and can become aggressive to tank mates,a full grown fire eel requires a tank of at least 55 gallons and prefferably bigger.

Try whole 3" earthworms 3-5 times a week. Should bring on growth and cut down aggression a bit. He will need feeding no more than this. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back