The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
CE20C671-3957-4E61-AC9F-D5B4572D96A1.jpeg
I have been trying to find pellets for my South American cichlids, after asking around and reading reviews Iv bought some Hikari cichlid gold and honestly they are scrap they are like little red fishing weights that float not one to force my fish to eat I removed the pellets and fed them there usuals bug bites by fluval in confusion as to why I looked at the ingredients and comparing between the two il attach photos of them both , and I donā€™teven know what is in them , whatā€™s other cichlid keepers feeding ?? Mine arenā€™t a fan of floating pellets in fairness they much prefer sinking but I want to get them on floating just for general maintenance any suggestions?

Attachments

• 8B83A09C-5FFD-465A-A3AF-5BA2EC59141B.jpeg
    8B83A09C-5FFD-465A-A3AF-5BA2EC59141B.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 5454AAC2-9505-4DFA-8215-C80AB9014D62.jpeg
    5454AAC2-9505-4DFA-8215-C80AB9014D62.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 71
I have read that Hikari pellets are a great diet for many fish... other than online research I don't have any personal experience with this food. Good luck!

I have read that Hikari pellets are a great diet for many fish... other than online research I don't have any personal experience with this food. Good luck!
My review is probably based on my fish not eating them lol but the ingredients are just not sitting right with me in comparison to other higher end pellets seem artificial

Iā€™m really out of date on food so keeping an eye on it. Iā€™ve tried a number of Hikari products in the past and Iā€™ve never had much luck. The cichlid pellets used to make my severum bloat really badly like thought it was the end for her so never used them again. Tried the micro pellets on smaller fish and again never too bothered. I ended up getting a bit lazy for a long time and feeding tetra prime with some frozen and some veggies but always felt I could do more. I think some of the problem is that there are a lot of paid influencers around now which is great for info on equipment but for something long term and quite subjective like food not sure I trust them in the same way.

Iā€™m really out of date on food so keeping an eye on it. Iā€™ve tried a number of Hikari products in the past and Iā€™ve never had much luck. The cichlid pellets used to make my severum bloat really badly like thought it was the end for her so never used them again. Tried the micro pellets on smaller fish and again never too bothered. I ended up getting a bit lazy for a long time and feeding tetra prime with some frozen and some veggies but always felt I could do more. I think some of the problem is that there are a lot of paid influencers around now which is great for info on equipment but for something long term and quite subjective like food not sure I trust them in the same way.
Iā€™m big on ingredients to be honest more so with my fish food than my own food , I like how the fluval ingredients are simple like salmon and black fly lava in comparison to the Hikari I mean whatā€™s L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphste , sounds like a Covid vaccine

This makes interesting reading. The site no longer exists so it's probably a bit out of date; but we can still access it via Wayback machine (so it'll take longer than usual to load)

L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate is a source of vitamin C. (Vitamin C is ascorbic acid)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back