Finally decided... your opinions please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

very pretty, a spade tail too? aren't they rarer then most? I'm still learning lol
It's advertised as a 4 month old copper smaragdina hybrid. Apparently the mother is a wild copper smaragdina and the father is a copper hybrid male.

In all honesty, I'm not sure on the rarity of a spadetail. I know that I've never seen one in my LFS'. Allthough I've seen a few when looking around online. Never owned a spadetail personally. Sure other members will know the answer to that question lol

It's advertised as a 4 month old copper smaragdina hybrid. Apparently the mother is a wild copper smaragdina and the father is a copper hybrid male.

In all honesty, I'm not sure on the rarity of a spadetail. I know that I've never seen one in my LFS'. Allthough I've seen a few when looking around online. Never owned a spadetail personally. Sure other members will know the answer to that question lol

Still it's a beautiful fish, I thought there was very few "low-key" betta's, but I'm quite happy that there is a wide variety. I've just been sifting through the betta section digging up photos. It's not helping, I want them all lol!

I'm not sure my self, I think I came across something about it yesterday, but I came across alot yesterday lol. Thanks for all your betta talk though, I have enjoyed reading :)

Still it's a beautiful fish, I thought there was very few "low-key" betta's, but I'm quite happy that there is a wide variety. I've just been sifting through the betta section digging up photos. It's not helping, I want them all lol!

I'm not sure my self, I think I came across something about it yesterday, but I came across alot yesterday lol. Thanks for all your betta talk though, I have enjoyed reading :)
Honestly, there are so many varieties of betta it's crazy! I've not even explored the wild side, had no idea about the brackish betta you mentioned so I'm as excited as you are lol. I do love betta's, to the extent that I've decided to focus solely on them for the foreseeable. I've moved on all of my live bearers to create the space lol. I would like to have killifish in the future too, need to put all of that on hold for a couple of years though until I move house and build a cabin type structure in the garden for tons of tanks!

Keep us posted on how you go with your tanks and stocking etc, especially if you get bettas, I'll want to hear all about it!

Honestly, there are so many varieties of betta it's crazy! I've not even explored the wild side, had no idea about the brackish betta you mentioned so I'm as excited as you are lol. I do love betta's, to the extent that I've decided to focus solely on them for the foreseeable. I've moved on all of my live bearers to create the space lol. I would like to have killifish in the future too, need to put all of that on hold for a couple of years though until I move house and build a cabin type structure in the garden for tons of tanks!

Keep us posted on how you go with your tanks and stocking etc, especially if you get bettas, I'll want to hear all about it!

Yeah it's amazing how one fish can have so many different varities, it's insane, yet good for us fish nerds, gives us more to look at, read and want lol.

I was shocked to hear it was brackish too, it really took me back, hehe, don't tell me you're planning on moving house so you can have a tank cabin in your garden lol.

Don't worry, I'll keep you informed as I go along, I may post a thread in the journal section for people to nosey at :)

A secure lid is needed for wild Bettas, no gaps, not even ones you'd think would be too small for them to go through. I originally had another male in my group who was much smaller than all the others but in his head he was the biggest fish in the tank so he'd start an argument with one of the other males who would finish it. I moved him into one of my other tanks where there was a gap of 1cm max between the tank lid and the uncovered filter section. He managed to get through while he was exploring and then from there hopped out of the tank altogether where unfortunately for him he met my chihuahua who decided to make him her new friend as he did it while we were out.

Yeah it's amazing how one fish can have so many different varities, it's insane, yet good for us fish nerds, gives us more to look at, read and want lol.

I was shocked to hear it was brackish too, it really took me back, hehe, don't tell me you're planning on moving house so you can have a tank cabin in your garden lol.

Don't worry, I'll keep you informed as I go along, I may post a thread in the journal section for people to nosey at :)
Couldn't agree more!

I'll have to move house for the space aspect either way, but the idea of having a massive cabin in the back garden to breed, raise and enjoy fish is a real decider! I do love having tanks dotted all over the house, but I could do with having a bit more organisation in such a small house lol. Having a half my bedroom consumed with tubs, tanks etc for breeding is a definite annoyance though :rofl: I like peculiar house plants too, so it'd be nice to have somewhere conditioned better for them to thrive and a tankroom would be perfect lol.
Had the idea of pond tubs too to grow plants and breed pond fish so I can sell it as a package locally, we'll see!

I'll look forward to it!

A secure lid is needed for wild Bettas, no gaps, not even ones you'd think would be too small for them to go through. I originally had another male in my group who was much smaller than all the others but in his head he was the biggest fish in the tank so he'd start an argument with one of the other males who would finish it. I moved him into one of my other tanks where there was a gap of 1cm max between the tank and the uncovered filter section. He managed to get through while he was exploring and then from there hopped out of the tank altogether where unfortunately for him he met my chihuahua who decided to make him her new friend as he did it while we were out.
Ahhh that's sad! I've made mesh coverings for under my lids just to be safe!

Ahhh that's sad! I've made mesh coverings for under my lids just to be safe!
Couldn't believe he managed to fit through because although he was small it was a tiny gap but it was the only gap he could have gone through to end up outside the tank. I was gutted when I found him.

A secure lid is needed for wild Bettas, no gaps, not even ones you'd think would be too small for them to go through. I originally had another male in my group who was much smaller than all the others but in his head he was the biggest fish in the tank so he'd start an argument with one of the other males who would finish it. I moved him into one of my other tanks where there was a gap of 1cm max between the tank and the uncovered filter section. He managed to get through while he was exploring and then from there hopped out of the tank altogether where unfortunately for him he met my chihuahua who decided to make him her new friend as he did it while we were out.

oh dear, poor little fish. I knew they were jumpers, but I didn't know about that aspect... my tank is an aqua start 500... it has a lide, but the back has a hole where a hang on back filter can be placed... also the front has a little flap, it's closed but it's not got a clasp to keep it down, I'll probably get a fridge lock for it.. though the back is a good 20cm wide and aroun 5cm high, even with a filter in there, how would I stop it ?

Couldn't agree more!

I'll have to move house for the space aspect either way, but the idea of having a massive cabin in the back garden to breed, raise and enjoy fish is a real decider! I do love having tanks dotted all over the house, but I could do with having a bit more organisation in such a small house lol. Having a half my bedroom consumed with tubs, tanks etc for breeding is a definite annoyance though :rofl: I like peculiar house plants too, so it'd be nice to have somewhere conditioned better for them to thrive and a tankroom would be perfect lol.
Had the idea of pond tubs too to grow plants and breed pond fish so I can sell it as a package locally, we'll see!

I'll look forward to it!

haha, I want a large tank, but this one is the only one the gf would allow, I'm thinking of leaving her, cutting my bed in half and replacing her side with a fish tank... that would be really nice.

So selling fish? how does that work, I'm so scared of breeding and fry because I wouldn't know what to do with all the little nippers. your house sounds cool, tanks everywhere, fish everywhere. I bet the sound of humming pumps is amazing, it's one of the most theraputic sounds I've heard. (Edit: just a disclaimer, I don't really want to sell fish, just after information if I have no other choice)

My 2 tanks that I'm using for the Betta Coccina have both got those feeding flaps on and I've not had a problem there, they're not strong enough to knock them open. The fry tank does have a similar gap to yours at the back for a filter so I just blue tacked a piece of plastic to the lid so it looks solid and so far no one has attempted to escape. I've also got well established floating plants which helps reduce the chance of them jumping out but those lids are very secure anyway.

oh dear, poor little fish. I knew they were jumpers, but I didn't know about that aspect... my tank is an aqua start 500... it has a lide, but the back has a hole where a hang on back filter can be placed... also the front has a little flap, it's closed but it's not got a clasp to keep it down, I'll probably get a fridge lock for it.. though the back is a good 20cm wide and aroun 5cm high, even with a filter in there, how would I stop it ?

haha, I want a large tank, but this one is the only one the gf would allow, I'm thinking of leaving her, cutting my bed in half and replacing her side with a fish tank... that would be really nice.

So selling fish? how does that work, I'm so scared of breeding and fry because I wouldn't know what to do with all the little nippers. your house sounds cool, tanks everywhere, fish everywhere. I bet the sound of humming pumps is amazing, it's one of the most theraputic sounds I've heard. (Edit: just a disclaimer, I don't really want to sell fish, just after information if I have no other choice)
For your gap, I've used the black mesh stuff that's used around the trunk of newly planted trees if that helps.

If I was you I'd leave her for sure :rofl: it's the same problem in my house though, the boss says I must downsize until we have a bigger house, so I've been replacing the big tanks with small ones, she's realised!

I've only spawned bettas and handful of times, sold them locally to friends, friends of friends and a few strangers through gumtree. Mostly I've bred livebearers which are easy to sell through gumtree etc. Nearly everyone does it lol. But I've sold the last of my livebearers in the last few days to make room for Betta's. Going forward I'll speak with my LFS' in an attempt to strike a deal. I'd much rather be able to move a whole spawn on asoon as they're ready or I'll become attached! Colin was saying on a thread yesterday that with covid, exporting is almost non existent so most LFS will happily buy fish from local breeders to stock their tanks

Couldn't believe he managed to fit through because although he was small it was a tiny gap but it was the only gap he could have gone through to end up outside the tank. I was gutted when I found him.
I've had live bearers spontaneously escape through the little cut on the corner of a lid for cables. I have no idea how they managed! I put a load of Salvinia in after that and been safe ever since. You're right about floating plants

My 2 tanks that I'm using for the Betta Coccina have both got those feeding flaps on and I've not had a problem there, they're not strong enough to knock them open. The fry tank does have a similar gap to yours at the back for a filter so I just blue tacked a piece of plastic to the lid so it looks solid and so far no one has attempted to escape. I've also got well established floating plants which helps reduce the chance of them jumping out but those lids are very secure anyway.

I was thinking of a hang on the back filter, or should I ignore that and just get an air filter? I am getting frogbit on the top as well, so that'll help. Betta's kind of sound like the naughty child... always up to no good, but not exactly "crossing the line" lol.

For your gap, I've used the black mesh stuff that's used around the trunk of newly planted trees if that helps.

If I was you I'd leave her for sure :rofl: it's the same problem in my house though, the boss says I must downsize until we have a bigger house, so I've been replacing the big tanks with small ones, she's realised!

I've only spawned bettas and handful of times, sold them locally to friends, friends of friends and a few strangers through gumtree. Mostly I've bred livebearers which are easy to sell through gumtree etc. Nearly everyone does it lol. But I've sold the last of my livebearers in the last few days to make room for Betta's. Going forward I'll speak with my LFS' in an attempt to strike a deal. I'd much rather be able to move a whole spawn on asoon as they're ready or I'll become attached! Colin was saying on a thread yesterday that with covid, exporting is almost non existent so most LFS will happily buy fish from local breeders to stock their tanks

Lol I should, though she cooks for me, I'd wither away and die without her lol. If the boss says downsize, then do it... just get rid of ten tanks and replace it with a 500gal, I doubt they'd notice, only problem is the amount of dividers you'd have to put in there for the bettas lol.

Ah so mainly sell to other people, or LFS if they're willing. It's something to look into should the need arise, I'd like to say it wont, but... we all got our urges I guess.

Forgot to reply to your question about the humming of pumps. There is nothing better! I fall asleep every night to the sound of sponge filters in my breeder bin and quarantine tank, absolutely love it! I once lived in a caravan for a year and the best sleeps i had were when I fell asleep to rain tapping on the roof. Perhaps its engraved in us from our time in the womb :rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back