Finally decided... your opinions please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I agree to do the betta last but I would do the tetras 2nd after the tank is establish since they are more sensitive. I lost several during the first few months.

Be sure you have a good supply of algae when you get the otocinclus. They are almost always wild caught, are hard to wean into prepared foods, and near starvation when purchased.

Be sure you have a good supply of algae when you get the otocinclus. They are almost always wild caught, are hard to wean into prepared foods, and near starvation when purchased.
Now this I did not know runs to google for adding algae

Now this I did not know runs to google for adding algae
You can put some medium sized stones in a jar in a sunny spot with some yard fertilizer and algae will grow and you can put that in your tank for them

You can put some medium sized stones in a jar in a sunny spot with some yard fertilizer and algae will grow and you can put that in your tank for them

Awesome, I should definitely look into that, also, do I put the jar in as a whole?

I came across "repashy soilent green" it's made to be like biofilm, or aufwuchs (think I nailed that spelling) would this also be good for weening onto algae wafers and the like?

Like @JuiceBox52 explained it is easy to make algae and they will be hungry for it. You may have to make more since your tank may have a hard time producing enough to feed them, The algae wafers will help and you can feed them plenty of those but getting fresh algae is what they will really like. Have to run:good:

Like @JuiceBox52 explained it is eaay to make algae and they will be hungry for it. You may have to make more since your tank may have a hard time producing enough to feed them, The algae wafers will help and you can feed them plenty of those but getting fresh algae is what they will really like.

no doubt, I'm hoping to make sure they have access to a wide array of different foods, algae, algae wafers, some different vegetables, keep it varied, keep them happy and full (obviously without making them pop). I just know that I wont be able to make the algae as quick as they're eating it, unless I start an algae farm in my attic. (but i'd be quite embarassed when the police knock on my door thinking I'm growing something else lol!). I just want to know how do I ween them on to more artificial foods for when I have no algae readily available for them.

Actually I've looked at the betta you want, and surprisingly, it is a brackish fish, meaning it needs salt in its water. I would suggest finding a different type of betta for this tank :)

Actually I've looked at the betta you want, and surprisingly, it is a brackish fish, meaning it needs salt in its water. I would suggest finding a different type of betta for this tank :)

How the hell did I miss that. I guess my greenhorny-ness is showing more than ever. Deducing it's fine simply because it's a betta. Stupid stupid me. I have a feeling I'm going to make a horrible fishkeeper. Thought better to learn now then later right?

How the hell did I miss that. I guess my greenhorny-ness is showing more than ever. Deducing it's fine simply because it's a betta. Stupid stupid me. I have a feeling I'm going to make a horrible fishkeeper. Thought better to learn now then later right?
I had no idea there were brackish bettas either. Dont sweat it. :) you will do just fine

I had no idea there were brackish bettas either. Dont sweat it. :) you will do just fine

Well I wont quit, I guess I'm just going to have to research even harder next time. though for now, I should sleep. I close my eyes and all I see is aquariums and fish from all the surfing I've done today.

Tomorrow after picking up my substrate and testing kit (because I was too busy today) I shall look at betta's that play nice with others. That'll be fun lol!

Again thank you guys for all your help!

I read this thread all through and none concerning that Otocinclus & Lava Rock is a bad idea or that's just my opinion ?.

Lava rock kinda has a spikey sharp area and any bottom dweller / No-scale fish can easily get an open wound.
I recommend to use another type of rocks to avoid this.
:)

I read this thread all through and none concerning that Otocinclus & Lava Rock is a bad idea or that's just my opinion ?.

Lava rock kinda has a spikey sharp area and any bottom dweller / No-scale fish can easily get an open wound.
I recommend to use another type of rocks to avoid this.
:)
Aye we talked about it, I'm going to find some smooth river rocks and thoroughly clean them especially for the oto's and the bettas fins. It's been a long two days and I wasn't thinking straight lol.

Thank you :)

all the bases have been covered so I dont have any formal input.

Just wanna say, you asking all these questions before and doing your research before.... this will make you a good fish owner, so don't be made to feel otherwise for asking questions :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back