Finally decided... your opinions please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

all the bases have been covered so I dont have any formal input.

Just wanna say, you asking all these questions before and doing your research before.... this will make you a good fish owner, so don't be made to feel otherwise for asking questions :)
I agree with @NCaquatics it's best that you're doing the research and asking the questions now instead of when you have over stocked an uncycled tank with incompatible fish that are suffering.

I can't think of much to add either, maybe betta alternatives. Have you looked at wild betta's? I'm not massively knowledgable about them just yet, I'm still learning! If I'm not mistaken, @Crispii knows a thing or two about wild betta's don't you? Would you have any suggestions?

You can put some medium sized stones in a jar in a sunny spot with some yard fertilizer and algae will grow and you can put that in your tank for them

Sometimes it works, but sometimes not.
I have a piece of rock sitting inside a container filled with water, liquid fertilizer and trace elements...
I put the container near quite to my windows which has afternoon sun.
But until now after 1-2 weeks, there is still no algae...

Sometimes it works, but sometimes not.
I have a piece of rock sitting inside a container filled with water, liquid fertilizer and trace elements...
I put the container near quite to my windows which has afternoon sun.
But until now after 1-2 weeks, there is still no algae...
I didn't even know this was possible lol, makes sense in theory, but I've never tried it. Is this container you're using glass and has a lid?

There are lots of other wild Bettas that could work. I have Betta Coccina which I personally really like but aren't the flashiest, they have dark red bodies with iridescent blue eyes and iridescent blue edges to the fins. @Crispii has Betta hendra, imbellis and I think at least one other type. Betta Hendra are very pretty fish.

There are lots of other wild Bettas that could work. I have Betta Coccina which I personally really like but aren't the flashiest, they have dark red bodies with iridescent blue eyes and iridescent blue edges to the fins. @Crispii has Betta hendra, imbellis and I think at least one other type. Betta Hendra are very pretty fish.
I've just started exploring the world of wild bettas and find them absolutely fascinating. I need to do alot more research on them because I'm sure they probably have requirements different from splendens. I'd love to keep one in a 7G I have, toyed with the idea of dividing said 7G to house two. Will have to look into it all though. You and @Crispii will probably hear from me in the near future for advice if you don't mind lol

I've just started exploring the world of wild bettas and find them absolutely fascinating. I need to do alot more research on them because I'm sure they probably have requirements different from splendens. I'd love to keep one in a 7G I have, toyed with the idea of dividing said 7G to house two. Will have to look into it all though. You and @Crispii will probably hear from me in the near future for advice if you don't mind lol
I've found them much easier than Splendens to keep. I haven't been lucky with my Splendens but my Coccina are thriving so I've decided to stick to wild Betta in the future. With most wild Betta they're OK together, I've got 5 in my 29g and only had a problem with one who will be moving out soon.

Yeah I did read about that, found it pretty cool. How are wild females with female splendens? You'll have to forgive me if it's a silly question, I've literally only looked at pictures of wild ones lol. I'll be having a good look online about them today though.

Sorry @Shiverz if I've slightly hijacked the thread, although this information could be useful to you also!

Do you mean keeping them with female Splendens or in comparison? Wouldn't keep them with female Splendens as they can be as aggressive as the males and most wild Bettas are quieter in nature. In comparison female Splendens are as colourful as males whereas I find my 2 normal ones a bit lighter and not as much iridescence to them as the males, the exception is my big female who you could easily mistake as male if it wasn't for the egg spot and the fact I've seen her laying eggs but she's just as sparkly as the males.

Do you mean keeping them with female Splendens or in comparison? Wouldn't keep them with female Splendens as they can be as aggressive as the males and most wild Bettas are quieter in nature. In comparison female Splendens are as colourful as males whereas I find my 2 normal ones a bit lighter and not as much iridescence to them as the males, the exception is my big female who you could easily mistake as male if it wasn't for the egg spot and the fact I've seen her laying eggs but she's just as sparkly as the males.
Yeah, what I meant was, would it be stupid to put a wild female in a female splenden sorority, but I think you answered my question. I do love that they're not as flamboyant as splendens, but have their own beauty. Very intriguing. I'll research further online, thanks for your help

Yeah, what I meant was, would it be stupid to put a wild female in a female splenden sorority, but I think you answered my question. I do love that they're not as flamboyant as splendens, but have their own beauty. Very intriguing. I'll research further online, thanks for your help
I wouldn't, I think a female Splendens could easily kill a female wild Betta if she wanted to as I've found Splendens to have a bit more bulk to them and they are more aggressive naturally.
Even though they're not as flashy when they do show off or catch the light just right on their fins they're stunning. Sometimes with mine I only know where they are because this electric blue eye suddenly moves.
You can get some fascinating wild Bettas, you've got bubble nesters like Coccina, hendra and the normal Splendens and you can get mouth brooders like Albimarginata or Channoides.

Every Betta is pretty, but, I prefer the motr low-key ones, not a huge fan of the big tails and fins. beautiful, just not my cup of tea. Though, all these bettas look right up my alley, beautiful little fish. I'll be having a look now :)

Sorry @Shiverz if I've slightly hijacked the thread, although this information could be useful to you also!
haha, don't worry, hijack all you want, like you said, the more you talk the more I learn :)

I wouldn't, I think a female Splendens could easily kill a female wild Betta if she wanted to as I've found Splendens to have a bit more bulk to them and they are more aggressive naturally.
Even though they're not as flashy when they do show off or catch the light just right on their fins they're stunning. Sometimes with mine I only know where they are because this electric blue eye suddenly moves.
You can get some fascinating wild Bettas, you've got bubble nesters like Coccina, hendra and the normal Splendens and you can get mouth brooders like Albimarginata or Channoides.
Yeah that does make sense. Totally! The pictures I've seen, they're gorgeous! Thanks for all the information, I've got a good starting point now. I'll have a butchers!

Every Betta is pretty, but, I prefer the motr low-key ones, not a huge fan of the big tails and fins. beautiful, just not my cup of tea. Though, all these bettas look right up my alley, beautiful little fish. I'll be having a look now :)

haha, don't worry, hijack all you want, like you said, the more you talk the more I learn :)
I understand what you mean, the more I see the wild ones, the more attractive they become. Saw an absolute beauty on Ebay the other day. Might have a screenshot of it that I sent to a friend.

That was my thinking, I was pretty sure you wouldn't mind lol

I thought they were all bubble nesters.. this is cool!

And Ellrog, the first betta I saw that I really loved was the mahachaiensis, I liked how even though it wasn't as frilly it still looked beautiful, and the colours were amazing.

I understand what you mean, the more I see the wild ones, the more attractive they become. Saw an absolute beauty on Ebay the other day. Might have a screenshot of it that I sent to a friend.

That was my thinking, I was pretty sure you wouldn't mind lol
Said screenshot

Attachments

• 20200710_105207.jpg
    20200710_105207.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 45

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back