Fin Rot With Almost Perfect Water Conditions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Pretty positive my betta Hades has fin rot.

I've tested the water this week and everything seems good. The nitrates even went down some from where it was. I did a big water change today and going to test the tank tomorrow. 

I know I need to add more plants and such to keep the stress down for them both (won't have the funds until Thursday). They seem to let up on flaring at each other. I thought maybe Hades was biting himself but it doesn't look like it. I've tried taking a picture of him so I can get better information but it's nearly impossible to do so.

He's not holding his fins close to his body or hiding like he did when they both had ich. They both seem pretty content when they aren't having a flaring match at each other. 

Any advice would be great. I do have aquarium salt in the tank and putting back in what I take out. 

In order to tell if it is indeed fin rot, we would need a picture of the fin(s) that appear to be affected.  To cure fin rot, all you really need is very clean warm water.

This is the best picture I have. I tried to get a good one but it's just impossible. 

Judging by the shape of the wound and the fact that no black edging is present, I would say that it is most likely not fin rot, and tail biting or minor fin blowing/splitting instead.

I would stop adding aquarium salt. It has no use and may even cause harm when used without purpose.

MattsBettas said:
Judging by the shape of the wound and the fact that no black edging is present, I would say that it is most likely not fin rot, and tail biting or minor fin blowing/splitting instead.

I would stop adding aquarium salt. It has no use and may even cause harm when used without purpose.
Some of the other fins started to do the same thing and that is why I am getting more worried about it. I'm almost half tempted to ditch the whole idea of a divided betta tank and get two five gallons for them. I just don't have the money currently. 
sad.png

Could it be new growth rather than fin rot?  New growth can sometimes be a bit more transparent.

or could be that he bit is own tail.

It happens alot esp. if it is the longfin bettas like halfmoon and veiltails

It looks more like he has been nipping his own fins in my opinion.  That does not look like rot at all.  I find no use for salt in a betta tank unless treating something like ICH personally.  So what I would do is stop the salt and keep the water very clean and warm to encourage fin regrowth.

Wildbetta said:
It looks more like he has been nipping his own fins in my opinion.  That does not look like rot at all.  I find no use for salt in a betta tank unless treating something like ICH personally.  So what I would do is stop the salt and keep the water very clean and warm to encourage fin regrowth.
Yeah, I'm going to stop the salt. 

I'm just glad it wasn't fin rot but then now I have this problem of tail biting. 
noexpression.gif

a mirror could divert his attention from his tail to his reflection.

I just wanted to give everyone a little update. Both have started to bite their own tails. My Kratos tail is looking pretty rough and pretty sure he is doing the same thing as Hades. 

I just want some opinions on the game plan I have so far.

I'm going to put a second divider into the tank. I'm not going to use silicon because I don't have any where temp to put these guys. If it were summer, I might consider having them in a container and just do water changes everyday but it's way too cold now. 

I'm probably going to make the gap wide enough to put the filter and heater into that open space (I'm thinking about adding some live plants into this space to further block their view but I'm still not 100% if I'll do so yet). This will involved me having to saw some of the plastic off the lid to make this work. I'm going to take any plastic mesh that I have left over and cover the large gap that will be in the back and make it where there is only a gap between the water flow of the filter and lid. I'll probably use a hot glue gun to glue it down. 

Right now this is probably my cheapest option. I'm going to work on getting these guys more plants which I know I should have done to begin with but I figured a mix of the plants and having the two dividers between them will help better. I'll keep everyone posted as time goes on. I plan on doing this tomorrow hopefully. 

That sounds like a good game plan.  I know of plenty of people that keep a small middle area to keep their males from being right next to each other.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back