Fin rot or cotton wool? How do I treat this?

K718vee

Reaction score
My red tail barracuda is developing some sort of growth on his nose. It all started when I was doing a water change...He got startled and darted into the glass; A couple days later he began forming some sort of growth on the injury which now looks like it is spreading to his fins. Is this fin rot? Cotton wool disease? Anyone have any recommended products that may help? The aquarium already has freshwater salt, and I just ordered a bottle of pimafix. Does this stuff really
15886037967093189696865311531842.jpg
work or should I be using something else? Any help is much appreciated. Dont wanna lose this guy.

Pimafix is known to be an oil that doesn't treat diseases, but hurts fish in some way although I can be wrong.
@Colin_T
Yeah I was a bit skeptical because I thought natural oils can be harmful if not fatal to fish, however it got really good reviews so I thought maybe it would help. Maybe I'll try a salt bath instead? My water is already salted but maybe a higher concentration of salt could be beneficial.

I know it is harmful to labyrinth fish like gourami and betta, I am not sure about other fish

Melafix and Pimafix are safe for most fish, just not labyrinth fishes (gouramis & Bettas). However, salt is more effective and cheaper.

The white dot on the nose is a bruise from hitting the glass and should clear up in a couple of weeks if the tank conditions are good.

I can't see any other damage apart from a small mark on the dorsal (top) fin.

----------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.
When you do water changes, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank to keep the salinity (salt level) stable.

----------------
If there are other spots on the fish, post some more pictures showing the other issues.

Melafix and Pimafix are safe for most fish, just not labyrinth fishes (gouramis & Bettas). However, salt is more effective and cheaper.

The white dot on the nose is a bruise from hitting the glass and should clear up in a couple of weeks if the tank conditions are good.

I can't see any other damage apart from a small mark on the dorsal (top) fin.

----------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.
When you do water changes, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank to keep the salinity (salt level) stable.

----------------
If there are other spots on the fish, post some more pictures showing the other issues.
Will do! Thank you so much for the detailed information. I'll update if the problems persist. You're the man!

Most reactions

Back