Fin rot.. I think?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phishphace

Reaction score
I adopted 6 guppies 5 days ago, when I got them home I realized that a couple had fin rot or had been nibbled on. I immediately started treating with Herbtana and Artemiss from Microbe-lift. All but one of the affected guppies has gotten better, and this one seems to be continually getting worse.
MVIMG_20200115_144017.jpg
This morning I realized that it has started to affect the back side of his body. Is this actually fin rot? At this point, do you think he would recover or should I euthanize him? I have kept fish many times, and never have had to put down a fish. In this circumstance I think I might have to for his own good, but I just want to know first that he will not recover before I decide to do so.

Has anyone had a fish this far gone recover?

I had a betta lose almost all of its fine. I did lots of water changes, added small amounts of aquarium salt and the did a treatment of jungle fungus clear (think that's what it was called.) He is super sensitive now If i miss a water change and it came back a couple times but is doing fine now :)

Juice, thanks for the response.

We have a few shrimp in the tank, so we can't add aquarium salt or anything with copper :confused: I've been changing the water every other day.

Does this look like typical fin rot to you? I know It can spread to the body, just never seen it do this.

Thank you both for input, yesterday morning he was being picked at by a shrimp. Didn't make it :-(

Everybody else in the tank is happy and healthy, still thriving. I'll continue using the treatments of Herbtana alternating with Artemiss until the 10-day period is over, just to make sure nobody else gets sick.

Attachments

• 15792966617622347426136606313658.jpg
    15792966617622347426136606313658.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 63
25 litre red cherry shrimp tank had hydra. Advised on here (Big thanks Colin_T) to use 2-4 tablespoons aquarium salt (API) per 5 gallons. Used 2.5 spoons dissolved and added a bit at a time over an hour. Left for a week. Did 10% daily water change for a week to slowly reduce salinity. Then returned to routine weekly water changes. Voila! No hydra, shrimps fine. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back