Fin irregularities? (photos included)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SharkyQ

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a little concerned about my betta's fins. I feel like I generally do everything right and I don't know what's going on with them. The photos below show how much he's changed. They just look more... shriveled? But it doesn't really match what I've read about fin rot. The first photo is from a year ago. The other photo with two shots of him are from today. (photos taken with different types of cameras) Part of me thinks it's just age and/or him being a crazy active betta. But if it's likely something else, I want to help with it. I'd appreciate any insight. Here is some basic information, and feel free to ask for more.

Z3KfEAm.jpg

ghqHVpS.jpg

• Fins have been wonky for ~6 months now
  • Got Sharky 2 years ago and he's about 2.5 years old
  • I feed New Life Spectrum, 2-4 pellets daily
  • Tank conditions have been constant throughout - I did change out silk plants for two live plants a while back but that's the only change.
  • 10 gallon tank with heater and filter. Temp around 78-80 degrees
  • No other fish tankmates, just some tiny invasive snails
  • I make sure the water change temp is the same and I use a water conditioner
  • I do a 20-30% water change every week
  • I have an API water test kit - tests always come out immaculate (ammonia and nitrates 0)
  • Ph has always a little high (high 7s to 8), but where I live the water is hard.
  • In July, Sharky had a single pop-eye. I think it was due to trauma and not bacterial since the eye became normal with no intervention and it was just one eye.
  • Sharky's trained to swim into a container for water changes; I've never netted him.
  • Sharky's a very active betta - like he'll try to swim into the filter to see what's in there. He's constantly swimming and explores every inch of the tank. If I go near the tank he is totally frantic.
  • Energy and appetite are top notch.

Last edited:
It looks like a bacterial infection. I’d try Furan-2.

Most reactions

trending

Back