Filtration Opinion

ghent_3rd

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
836
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester, England
Do you think these filters would be suitable for 10 gallon tanks?? It does not say on the website unfortunately. I want to buy 5 of them to put into my new tank set-up. I am guessing you just drop an airstone into them to make them work the same as what I have seen on the filters that have been designed.

SPONGE FILTER
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
:hyper: you did it :lol:

yes i had a green one in my two foot breeding tank for my bristlenose plecs,,,,what you want 5 in one tank? whats the purpose of the tank? if breeding then yes spot on :nod:
 
Got there eventually!!!

No I want one in each tank, going to be having several different species tanks, I have put in a link below to what I am planning to do, I know mechanical filtration is not going to be great but the tanks are only going to be very lightly stocked so I will be keeping up the maintenance on them and biological is the most important thing on my mind anyway.

My Project
 
That looks just big enough for a 10 gallon tank. You might want to use a power head instead of an air system to keep the noise down though.
 
Going to put the airpump in my loftspace above my bedroom and then run the airline down to it so that should hopefully minimise noise. Not really got the funds or the plugsockets to run a separate powerhead in each of the 5 tanks!
 
they work, and well too. just remember this is a BIO filter, you will need a mechanical set up too.
 
Yeah I gotta work that 1 out.

If I keep hot on the tank maintenance then is mechanical filtration still a necessity??
 
I'm just guessing the size by looking at the suction cups. Those should be fine for 10 gallon tanks. If you look at the bio media contained in a hob filter, and compare the size, you will see how much surface area a sponge filter has.

I make my own sponge filters, here's a couple of pics to give you an idea of size;

dsc0108119yn.jpg


dsc0108412il.jpg



I use one of these in anything up to a 29 gallon, two work fine for a 55 gallon.

Sponges are mainly bio filters, when running sponge filters mechanical filtration can be an issue. The debris is removes via water changes in fry tanks, running a box filter with floss works for mechanical filtration.
 
How do these compare to the ones I linked to earlier on in the thread. I can get these from the UK so work out cheaper than the ones from Hong Kong but not sure if the quality is the same?? I am hoping you are all going to say that the Hong Kong ones look better but will do exactly the same job!!!

Algarde Biofoam
 

Most reactions

Back
Top