Filters Filters Filters!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

meso81

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been told by alot of different people on whats the best type of filter... I was wondering on what you guys think is the best type of filter for a reef aquarium....
Canister?
Wet/Dry?
ETC..

Whats with the sump?

Please Advise

LOL

its all about live rock in marine aint it? or cant live rock go in a "reef"?

filter, filter, filter lol
Well, humm the best kind huh? what do you want your filter to do? you can filter all types of stuff! in my tank I run a filter a "HOB" filter I run carbon and a PO4 binder, and thats it. Now do you want your filter for biological filtration? thats something else... my filter and many other reef keepers filter is used for chemical filtration, and that is.. the goal of my filter is not to keep bacteria alive but to improve water quality.

Now if u want biological filtration(nitrifying bacteria) in a salt water tank, live rock is the best answer not only does bacteria love 2 live in the stuff... but it can convert your NO3's...

Now u can go with a filter.. humm HOB, Canister ect.. for that you need.. foam and hollow ceramic and that will host bacteria you need... Now for the problem, that same media that you use in that filter that keeps that nitrifying bacteria alive also are NO3 factories. now in your avg fresh water tank thats no real issue but in a "reef setup" nobody likes the NO3's... invertebrates hate the stuff 2 death and quite literary... and many reef fish are intolerant 2 them.

and more or less lalalal thats it :p
Ter

I am Currently using a pen plax cascade canister filter..
Its ok but id like to upgrade.. now unfortunately I Have little cabinet space. No room for a sump..

I was thinking of getting this guy...

Ehiem wet/dry...

Let me know what you think...
Or please let me know what you think would be optimal for my reef tank..
55gals+

Pics and links welcome :good:

It should be pointed out that a filter can only become a nitrate trap if it is not maintained regularly. there is nothing basically wrong with using a filter (even UGF) just that the berlin method is far simpler and easier on maintenance.

If you have a pretty heavy bioload then incorporating a wet/dry is a very good idea.

i think most would agree that the best form of filtration would be live rock using some type of other filter as a chemical filtration unit if a sump is not possible remember good maintenance of the unit is also essential

When first settin up a tank and i plan to use just live rock no filters would i need to out all of the LR in at the same time if i want to add fish within the next few weeks after setting up the tank,or whenever the water is perfect.
Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Back