Filter Really Needed?

VidVid

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
262
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey. I have a 10 gallon spare tank that is packed full of Java moss (1/2 full atm but still growing). Just wondering if a filter is needed in such a planted tank that will be used as a breeding tank for a pair of german blue or the smaller golden rams? I will still do weekly 30% water changes in the breeding tank btw. Thanks.
 
Hey. I have a 10 gallon spare tank that is packed full of Java moss (1/2 full atm but still growing). Just wondering if a filter is needed in such a planted tank that will be used as a breeding tank for a pair of german blue or the smaller golden rams? I will still do weekly 30% water changes in the breeding tank btw. Thanks.
well it is known that some, lightly stocked, planted tank can run with no bio filter. mechanical filtration will still be needed though, i would have thought.
 
As boboboy said, in some special heavily planted tanks, biological filtration is accomplished by the plants who use the fish waste in element form as fertilizer. It still is always good to have some form of filtration on a tank :good:
 
I would put an air operated sponge filter in the tank to help keep the water clean. If you plan on running a tank without a filter you have to keep a close eye on water quality. And most times you have to do partial water changes every day or two.
A filter will keep it cleaner for longer and you will have less work and worry about water quality.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top