Filter Or No Filter?

fortuncai

New Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Minnesota
Okay, here is my question; After some extensive research on Southeast Asian Biotopes, I am ready to start converting my 33 long. Since there is very little current in this particular biotope I am wondering if I can lose the filtration? I am using a Fluval 305. The tank is already heavily planted and contains 3 Blue Gourami, a male and female Betta S., 1 female guppy, a pair of Bolivian Rams and 1 pleco. I also perform weekly water changes at 50%. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :good:
 
Okay, here is my question; After some extensive research on Southeast Asian Biotopes, I am ready to start converting my 33 long. Since there is very little current in this particular biotope I am wondering if I can lose the filtration? I am using a Fluval 305. The tank is already heavily planted and contains 3 Blue Gourami, a male and female Betta S., 1 female guppy, a pair of Bolivian Rams and 1 pleco. I also perform weekly water changes at 50%. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :good:

i would personally still use a filter,perhaps slow the flow of it down as i no bettas dont like fast moving water,it will help keep bacteria levels okay etc etc - im no expert,just my opinion :)
 
Hi,

A filter-less tank can be maintained with lots of live plants and lots of water changes, but the balance is very fine. If something goes wrong with the plant growth (like algae for instance) the ammonia will spike, and with no filter, you will be left with dying fish.

It can however be achieved, but i wouldn't recommend it for most hobbyists. The filter, if nothing else, will be there as a back-up should something else go wrong in the tank. If at all possible, my advice is to leave it in.

Good luck :good:

BTT
 
Get one with an adjustable flow. Perhaps a couple of small HOB types, one at each end and very frequent water changes, as plecs are well known for being very messy.
 
If you keep a male and a female betta together they will kill each other. The male betta would really be better off in his own tank, the female is probably ok to stay with the others if you keep an eye on her.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top