Filter Media... What Do I Need?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lizi_angelfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi!!

Hoping someone can help me get my head around filters. I'm spending my few days off trying to really understand cycling and setting up my tank before I go ahead and do it! No half arsed jobs this time!

Anyway, was just reading the 'know your filter media' post by Neale which is pinned in the beginners resource centre (if you haven't read it, do, because it is really interesting!). I am slightly confused now though!

I've got an Interpet PF1 filter which came with my tank. I got everything off eBay second hand so no instructions with it. So my only knowledge of the filter has come from my search on google and from Neale's post. I understand the concept of mechanical, biological and chemical filters, but what I don't correlate, is what my filter actually has in relation to this? It came with a carbon filter and what I assume from my google search to be 'plain foam'. You can also get 'superfine foam'... This was not in the filter when I got it, is it essential?

If you search 'interpet pf1 filter instructions' in google, there's a PDF... second hit I think. http://www.fbas.co.uk/Interpet%20catalogue.pdf

I have a feeling I may need to upgrade to a PF2 anyway? (60 litre tank, 60x30x35cm) How soon/necessary is this do you think? The PF2 then has room for Biomedia which may be superior?!

In summary, I think understand what comes with the filter, but what I don't know is whether that is the optimum filtration setup (in size and filters) or whether I should ignore their setup and discount the carbon for example?

Blimey, I feel like I know less and less the more I read. I hope this makes some sense...

Oh, it's easy to start over-thinking things when you're just starting!

First of all, for a beginner's tank, forget about chemical filtration all together, so dump the carbon. Most tanks run perfectly well with just biological and mechanical; you can learn about chemical later, if you need to.

Sponge or plain foam works as both mechanical and biological and is very good filter media. The problem comes with reaching a balance between keeping it clean, so it's works efficiently as a mechanical media, while not cleaning it so much that you lose your good bacteria.

That's where the superfine stuff comes in; it's only for mechanical, so you can wash that really well and replace it if it gets too clogged, which you must never do with your main sponge.

So you want a layer of the superfine sponge, or filter floss that you can buy cheaply on eBay, and a main 'plain sponge'.

If you want to go for a bigger filter do; it's very hard to overfilter and, in general, bigger is better, but if you want to stick with the smaller one, that's ok too, just keep on the conservative side with your stocking.

Oh thanks Fluttermoth, I understand now! I'll get some of the fine foam. Maybe see about upgrading to the PF2 at a later date as initial start up has been expensive enough! :D

I will give you some used fine foam when you come if you like. Sounds like the best way to give you media for that filter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back