Filter media replacement

CraigDalton

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just got my lido 200 tropical tank and it comes with a bioflow 3.0 filter, I am wondering how often the sponges (media I believe it's referred too) should be replaced of ever.

Many thanks!

I’m sure someone else here can weigh in with more experience.

I don’t often replace sponges. I simply squeeze them out every 3-5 weeks to remove all the build up(in tank water of course). Sponges are capable of housing a lot of beneficial bacteria, therefor I only clean them when they start getting clogged.

Replace sponges when they no longer resemble a sponge.

When they fall apart. Rinsing weekly is fine - bacteria is not nearly as fragile as many assume.

The black sponge isn't needed, it's impregnated with carbon. Keep it in the cupboard in case you ever need to remove medication after treating sick fish.

The green nitrate sponge is generally acknowledged to not do what it's claimed to. Pretend it's a blue sponge.

If you have cirax, just wash that till it starts to crumble.

The white pads do need replacing. They are first in the direction of water flow to catch the big bits so they don't reach and clog the sponges. The white pads will clog quickly and they only wash a couple of times before going all holey. But buying packs of white pads is expensive long term. It is a lot cheaper to buy a length of filter wool/floss from a roll (Ebay, Amazon) and use a pad as a template to cut it to size.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back