Filter In The Hood?

VickiandKev

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
656
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
North London
I've found this gorgeous tank:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160375948934&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_7708wt_836

And having just found my dream place to rent for the rest of my course, I now know I have plenty of space for a 5-6ft tank and want to buy a real nice one for Xmas.

I like the idea of the filter and media being in the hood, as I always worry about external filters under the tank, and hate cleaning them and priming them (I always seem to get water everywhere :( ). I realise internal filters would not be suitable for a tank this size as well, and that's fine because it means less water displacement too.

My question is does anyone have experience of this and is it any good?

There's no point in me getting this particular tank if I'm just going to have to buy a separate external filter anyway so I just thought I would ask as I've never seen anything like this before.
 
i've heard they are pretty good as they work like a wet/dry filter so biological filtration is good, but i can't comment on the mechanical filtration.
 
I haven't had one, but I love the aquaone range which is very similar, so I asked on this post and the response was positive :good:
That tank is fab as aquaone don't make them over 98cm long, apart from in australia, and then they're ony 12" front to back.
Maybe when I'm ready for a big tank, you'll be selling yours :lol:
 
I've found this gorgeous tank:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160375948934&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_7708wt_836

And having just found my dream place to rent for the rest of my course, I now know I have plenty of space for a 5-6ft tank and want to buy a real nice one for Xmas.

I like the idea of the filter and media being in the hood, as I always worry about external filters under the tank, and hate cleaning them and priming them (I always seem to get water everywhere :( ). I realise internal filters would not be suitable for a tank this size as well, and that's fine because it means less water displacement too.

My question is does anyone have experience of this and is it any good?

There's no point in me getting this particular tank if I'm just going to have to buy a separate external filter anyway so I just thought I would ask as I've never seen anything like this before.

No IMO its not going to be upto scratch, the filter itself runs at 900lph, whereas a tank that size would require filtration of around 2150lph,

This is the tank I own, purchased from ebay, this is not much bigger but comes with a 1800lph filter
even with this filter I still found it was nowhere near big enough and so has been ripped out and replaced with two large externals
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i have an aquaone ar90 very small in comparison to this but find the in hood filter to be ok after a bit of shuffling of media and adding extra floss around the inlet pipe to stop dirty water returning into the tank....... the water is very clear and it cycled very quickly! but as said above by davo if the powerhead isnt powerfull enough then you will be buying an external before you know it....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top