Filter for shrimp tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bicyclemaster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey there, I have a 10g tank to which I will add some cherry shrimp. I tried to aquascape it as good as I could and I also added all kinds of plants, moss, floating plants etc. The thing is that I really need to inject co2 with these plants and the tank has a sponge filter at the moment. I thought it would be best for the shrimp. Sadly the sponge filter doesn't make any water circulation and I believe the co2 is pretty much useless. For now I've added a HOB as well in order to make some circulation. In the future I could just leave the HOB on it's own and maybe add an air stone for some more surface agitation.

Idk if this matters but the light is a Twinstar B 45cm, the substrate is dirted and I'm adding micro, macro and carbo because the plants we're planted about 2 weeks ago and they have no roots.

Also, the tank was dark started for 2 months and then I added the plants.

There are many filters for shrimp. You want the flow to be pretty slow and the shrimp to not get sucked up in the filter there are foam covers you can put over the filter so it won’t suck up the shrimp, but I would just look up filters for shrimp and see what comes up. Most of them should work. What size tank do you have? You want a filter that will work for that size tank and is meant for shrimp.

Hello. For such a small tank, you can easy use a small sponge filter. It provides good filtration, good oxygen to the water and no worries about something small getting sucked into the filter. It's also very inexpensive and easy to keep clean. I use sponge filters in all my tanks.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I was using a sponge filter, bit I noticed that because it creates no water circulation, the co2 I inject is not going everywhere in the tank. I wanted a filter that circulates the water, while not hurting or stressing the shrimp. I will probabil use a small HOB that I have, with a sponge on the intake and a lot of filter media so that the flow is lower.

Can you buy AquaEl products in Romania? They make filters which are a sponge attached to a powerhead. I have one in my shrimp tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back