fill up tank with hose

DylFunk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i was just wondering if anyones ever tried to use an outdoor hose to fill their tank. if so what precautions do you have to take to make it safe?

is it for the very first fill up?
if so there is no problem, appart from
de-chloinating it and acclimating it.

If it is for water changes, then I personally wouldn't do it
because of the temperature differances.

I've done it before and the only precaution is to make sure that the hose doesn't fly out :whistle: And also head out to turn off the water when it's about 3/4 full :X

I agree with Wolf though,only as a first time fill up.

Many say not to use a hose because some are lined with "stuff" (anti mold crap).
I wouldn't recommend using an old garden hose though, too much of a chance something nasty is in there (bacteria, old bugs, mildew, old water).

That said, i use a new garden hose to do water changes. I siphon it into the bathtub. Attach it onto my sink and refill. Very quick.

when i first filled up my 10 gallon i was holding it the tank and my lil bro turned it on full pressure so it flew ouyt of my hands and all over the wall. it worked fine but u just jave to make sure u dechlorinate it.

yeah i have a hsoe somewhere that attaches to my sink so i can give it a little warmth as i put it in i just need to find it.

Just a wee question, i don't want to sound like an idiot, but when everyone is talking about a tank cycle!! what does that really mena. and having a 25% water change, do you keep the fish in the tank when you sifen the water out, and when you fill the tank back up is it okay to have the fish stillin the there while the new water is being dechlorinised( probably spelt that wrong)

cheers

Bear!! :S

The tank cycle refers to the ammonia being converted to nitrite then to nitrate.
It is the nitrate we remove by doing water changes.

yes you keep the fish in the tank, add the dechlorinator after the water is taken out and before you add new water.

wolf,

one more thing, just use cold water from the tap yeah? and let it heat up itself,
i know it is stupid questions but if you don't ask you will never know eh!!

bear!!

as long as the cold water is not freezing cold, no problem.
I fill the bucket up and syphon the water from the bucket to the tank, this allows a gradual change to happen and therefore it is not to dramtic for the fish. I find that the temp rarly drops doing it this way.

i used old garden hose.. thick black rubber.. i ran hot water threw it for about 10 minutes.. then i filled tank.. with cool-warm water.. and had no deaths.. i also use it to suck water out of tanks..

both my tanks 75g and 65g seem fine..

just make sure you run water there hose before you use it.. some people even suggest adding bleach to the hose then run water threw it..

I also use garden hose to fill up a 36 liter bucket, dechlorinate and store until needed. no problems so far.

I just bought 2 5 gallon buckets to water change my 20 gallon (i can do 25% water changes this way)

The day before a water change I fill up a bucket (I actually always keep a bucket filled in case i should do an emergency change)

I use the empty bucket to syphon out the water.

Now as far as temperature goes.

I take out 4 cups of new water and boil it. When I mix it back in with the bucket, the temperature is about the same as the tank (about 2-3 degrees). It took me a few water changes to figure this out but I'm pretty happy with the results.

I then slowly pour the bucket in the tank. My guppies seem to love the current it makes as they always try to swim through it.

So when i'm done doing a water change, i empty the bucket of old water and fill it up again, add dechlorinator and let it rest for at least one day before doing another water change

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back