Fill My Tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Something along the lines of...
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1FCS3UjA5U[/video]

(To coin a phase on this subject I recently read) stocking tank idea threads are like asking us what curtains we should put in your house, what I like and what you like could be very different and means there are lots of different curtain designs and businesses out there.
wink.png

I would go for a massive school of neons or cardinals, some of the more interesting rainbow fish, corys for the bottom dwellers, and angel fish. like ten of them in a heavily planted tank. Good luck and I hope to see lots of pics!

Neons and angelfish are NOT a good mix... Neons are a natural food source for angels in the wild.

N0body Of The Goat said:
(To coin a phase on this subject I recently read) stocking tank idea threads are like asking us what curtains we should put in your house, what I like and what you like could be very different and means there are lots of different curtain designs and businesses out there.
wink.png

I agree with that, but at the same time when folks go shopping for curtains they always have books, samples, etc. to look at.  These sorts of threads are sort of like that for the members that want more opinions.

OMG some of those ideas are amazing!!! 
Loving the video's too, I would love to do the discus-cardinal set up but the other half says no to the discus. (Probably because i said no to his bgk ;) )
N0body Of The Goat, on 29 May 2013 - 16:18, said:
N0body Of The Goat said:

Good job i don't have curtains then ;)

I'm not a discus fan either. 

You can get some amazing coloured ones though, would make an interesting tank.
He is adamant on a BGK  but it really wouldn't work in my tank once he's full size and i don't like the idea of just rehoming big fish. 

I agree 100%.

Gonna throw this out there, 
Stock my tank using the following...
1) Angelfish
2) Gourami

GOOOOO!!!

How about Mbunas? Tanks a great size for a lovely malawi set up.

Personally i would go with a pair of red devils or a similar sized central american cichlid... Wish i had a tank that big
sad1.gif

Low tech planted Rainbow tank
smile.png

Lots of low tech and easy to keep plants to fill the tank up and a nice shoal of rainbows! I don't like seeing a big mishmash or lots of species as much as you end up with a few nice males of each species and lots of grey females. I would choose 2-4 species and larger shoals rather than a few of lots of species
smile.png

I do prefer (for a change) the more common species of rainbows, so a nice shoal of maybe 6 Bosemani, 6 Red, 6 Lake Kutubu Blue and 6 Red Tailed Australian (Malanotaenia splendida australis) in ratios of 2:4 (male:female) as the centre feature of the tank. Would also want a nice shoaling species to use the area that the rainbows just don't use! So maybe a species of Harlequin (Copperline Harlequins would be lovely!) to use the upper areas of the tank, a nice shoal of 25-30 rasbora, a trio of Siamese Flying Foxes are great for keeping algae in check and get on great with rainbows, oticinclus and amano shrimp by the dozen for real algae control, a feature pair of cichlids for the bottom maybe? I love my cichlids... would definitely settle for a pair of either Taeniacara candidi or Dicrossus filamentosa. If you were ever lucky enough to get babies that survive (or rescue), there would easily be a market for these species unlike the more bog standard dwarf cichlids like rams and kribensis. Or even Laetacara curviceps would be lovely
smile.png

Then dependant on stocking... might go for either a large number of Assasin Snails to prvent invasions of pest snails from plants without creating much bioload and using up stocking space... *or* work in a shoal of smaller loaches (the bigger the loach, the more they trash the tank!) so Botia striata or Botia sidthimunki (if feeling rich!) and maybe a shoal of 15 cories of a single species... or maybe 16 cories of two species.... I would love single species of cories but there are so many I like!! Would likely end up with half albino cories (they are always so much more active and show up in planted tanks so nicely!) and a shoal of Skunk Cories as they look so striking!

Might even do away with cories, suggested loaches and assassin snails and see if I could source a shoal of 20 Vietnamese Multibar Banded Loaches (Yunanilus cruciatus I think). Tiny pale and stripy loaches only reach 3cm absolute tops, shoal, eat pest snails, are as docile and nosey as you could ask for and would clean detritus and left over food up wonderfully with the bonus of a spectacle not often seen on forums.

Win
smile.png

Bit of a mixed bag video, shows a nice shoal of rainbows but too many species IMO as you lose the striking colours... shows the shoaling nicely though... especially when they think they might get food ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ixk_cx79RQ

Yunnanilus cruciatus - Cutest loach ever :) great video of their shoaling behaviour... now imagine 20 or so of them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ka1JYRr1U

Malanotaenia splendida australis (locality 'King River') shoaling with harlequins :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiM5BegdFXI

Actually... I would scrap the shoal of harlequins for a shoal of Forktail rainbows!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vpvamo1_FM

LeahMay said:
Gonna throw this out there, 
Stock my tank using the following...
1) Angelfish
2) Gourami
GOOOOO!!!

Hmmm.... Out of my league, I'm afraid.

south american planted tank with a pair of chocloate cichlids, maybe 6-8 discus or angels, sterbai cories, a pair of bottom dwelling cichlids, and for the tops either marble hatchets or some neat south american killis

indian indo pacific set up with torpedo barbs, rainbows, half beaks, and some interesting catfish, maybe if you can set up a no fish zone in the back you could get a ton of colorful shrimp that way they have a place to hide from the fish to breed and stuff (dont know how well that would work though)

giant gourami/arowana would be possible though it leaves almost 0 room for anything else, but you get a really personal fish.

school of tinfoil barbs in a planted tank, with other stuff but the school would be the main feature

a stingray

a ton of really nice goldfish

salt water reef tank....or just fish only

asian set up with barbs and gouramis and some parrot fish

brackish set up

archer fish

a barracuda

electric eel

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back