Figures

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sean_Buckley

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The only tank that has ick is my planted tank.The only fish that have it are the Red-Tailed Rainbows, so I've taken them out. None of the other fish show any signs at all. No white specks, no shimmying, no scratching, nothing. Should I wait until I see signs? Also, is copper-salts based medicine ok for plants and scaleless fish? I couldn't find any medicines with malachite green or anything.
Sean

Sorry about your tank. But now you've found out about it you can treat it. I'm not sure about the copper being safe or not, I know it's a no-no with inverts. and saltwater fishes. How come you can't get anything with malachite green? They're pretty much the only thing sold to treat ich around here.

Should I wait until I see signs?
Yes, don't treat the aquarium unless you see a sign of ich. Also, make sure you sterilize the net as well.

Also, is copper-salts based medicine ok for plants and scaleless fish?
Well, not really. You're better off avoiding the copper based medication. Some plants are fairly sensitive to copper, while others aren't. I believe Sagittaria are sensitive to copper. Other species may be sensitive as well. Depending on your fish, you might be able to cure it using high temperature treatment (88-90 degrees for 4-5 days).

Try looking around, someone's got to sell popular stuff like rid-ich. For the afflicted fish, use salt and high temperature treatment. It works wonders.

EDIT:
I just realized that you wrote: "are the Red-Tailed Rainbows", which probably means the cysts are already in the gravel. :/ But don't treat it yet...

Its actually sand, and I had them moved within a half hour of seeing the spots, which were only on their fins. Damn, just bought some saggitarius today. O well, I can move it. My fish are 3 Angelfish, 1 Red Tailed Black Shark, 4 Bronze Cories, 3 Peppered Cories, and one male Swordtail. None are showing any signs, but if they do, could I at least try the high temp. treatment? Would they hold up?
Sean

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back