Fictional Community Tank Advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rickshaw

Reaction score
I have no idea where the most appropriate place for this topic is—as it's of a rather odd nature—so I apologize if this is not it.

For one of my classes, I'm writing a story that is focused on the contents of an aquarium, the size of which is irrelevant and won't be divulged in the narrative. However, despite the fact that the fish tank is fictional, I still want it to be as accurate as possible. I have done some research and have selected varieties of fish for (I must admit) purely aesthetic reasons, but I am concerned as to whether they could realistically coexist with each other. I don't plan on using all of the ones listed; I'll eventually settle on a few different ones. Before I weed out my selections, I would very much like to know if any of you experienced individuals can foresee any potential conflicts with my pool. I admit I'm rushing to finish my project so I hope I haven't inadvertently mixed saltwater and freshwater species. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated; even if you just want to copy + paste my list and "strike through" the bad ones that's fine!

BASSLET:  Royal Gramma, Dusky, Bicolor, Black Cap, Banded
CLOWNFISH: Sebae
CHROMIS: Blue-green
GOBY: Purple Firefish, Flame Tail, Warpaint Clown
CARDWALFISH: Spotted
GOURAMI: Thick-lipped
CICHLID: Viejita Dwarf
JAWFISH: Blue Dot

STARFISH: Red, Serpent
CRAB: Halloween Hermit, Emerald, Electric Blue Hermit
SHRIMP: Scarlet Skunk, Red Fire
SNAIL: Tiger Cowrie (large)
SCALLOPS OR CLAMS:

I've tried to keep the fish to a similar size to avoid having them eat each other.
A starfish is a must and I would like to include shrimps, snails, scallops, or clams, but through my readings I've found that starfish like to snack on some of those. It'll still be workable if I have to eliminate any of the shellier critters, however.

Interesting project!

I'm sure one of the 'salties' will be along shortly to help you, but I can tell you that the gourami and the cichlid are both freshwater fish.

I will have to leave the fish details to others aside from secoding what flutter said about some being freshwater. I can help with some of the invert stuff though.

A starfish is a must and I would like to include shrimps, snails, scallops, or clams, but through my readings I've found that starfish like to snack on some of those. It'll still be workable if I have to eliminate any of the shellier critters, however.

A red serpent isn't a "true" star. The common name applies to a few species, but they are all fast-moving and almost octopus-like in how they manipulate objects at times. Most brittles and serpents are ok with Bivalves since they don't have the prying power to be able to open one up even though they are very dexterous otherwise. In my largest tank I have a bunch of brittle and serpent species as well as several filter feeding Bivalve species and there are no troubles at all between them. Although there is the rare report of large serpents taking motile inverts like shrimp (which I suspect often may be down to a sickly shrimp), in general it's fine. The stars that eat Bivalves and other inverts as a staple part of their diet are true stars like the common Atlantic star, Asterias rubens, which are much slower and stronger. However, not all true stars are predatory. there are true stars that are film feeders as well and safe with sessile inverts, like Linckia and Fromia species. 

Obligatory side note for anyone else reading this and thinking of similar tank stockings for non-fictional tanks: although serpent and brittle stars are fairly easy to keep, true stars and particularly the filter feeding Bivalves listed are VERY hard to care for and should not be attempted in most tanks.

The cichlid and gourami are freshwater. Id suggest for your first tank to be a freshwater as it is low maintainance lcompared to saltwater

DerpPH said:
The cichlid and gourami are freshwater. Id suggest for your first tank to be a freshwater as it is low maintainance lcompared to saltwater
i beleive the OP is writing a story, i dont think there actually setting up a tank.

Donya said:
A red serpent isn't a "true" star. The common name applies to a few species, but they are all fast-moving and almost octopus-like in how they manipulate objects at times. Most brittles and serpents are ok with Bivalves since they don't have the prying power to be able to open one up even though they are very dexterous otherwise. In my largest tank I have a bunch of brittle and serpent species as well as several filter feeding Bivalve species and there are no troubles at all between them. Although there is the rare report of large serpents taking motile inverts like shrimp (which I suspect often may be down to a sickly shrimp), in general it's fine. The stars that eat Bivalves and other inverts as a staple part of their diet are true stars like the common Atlantic star, Asterias rubens, which are much slower and stronger. However, not all true stars are predatory. there are true stars that are film feeders as well and safe with sessile inverts, like Linckia and Fromia species.

Donya, thanks for the information! I'm certainly learning a lot through my research; I've never even thought about what starfish eat and was rather surprised to find that they liked mollusks and such. It's good to hear that some varieties will get along with any bivalves if I choose to include them. Even though they are not "true stars" as you say, I do prefer the look of the "serpents". I'll also be looking into the others you've mentioned. I checked a few books out from the library, but they are very general with the information. It's refreshing to get some more specific details!
fluttermoth said:
Interesting project!

I'm sure one of the 'salties' will be along shortly to help you, but I can tell you that the gourami and the cichlid are both freshwater fish.

Good to know, I'll take those off the list pronto. Thank you!
biggrin.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back