Ferts For Low-light

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SJ2K

Always Want More Fish?!
Reaction score
Im sure ive read about this before but im struggling to find a precise answer, im thinking of re-vamping my tank to a planted set up (Whey!). I want to keep it simple to start with though, i want to start with low light (1WPG), nutrient rich substrate (probably laterite under sand, or root tabs/both) and I want to dose with some liquid ferts readily available online. I was looking at products such as Seachems Flourish but id really like some opinions on good liquid fertilisers. Im sure lighting upgrade and the introduction of Co2 wont be far around the corner, who knows, one day I may tackle the EI method :good:

Many Thanks

For a low loght tank ferts are not needed for many plants. One exceptuon would be crypts which are fairly heavy root feeders and that can be handled with root ferts. As far as what you may need in the water column, that depends on your fish load to some extent. With ana average to high stocking level, fish and food waste should supply the macro nutrients and all you would need are the micros. I have been dosing my low light tanks (.8-1.5 wpg) for years weekly with Tropica Mastergrow and Flouroish Excel with great results.

Tropica recently changed the name of Mastergrow to PLANT NUTRITION liquid and they added a second version called PLANT NUTRITION+ liquid. The + also contains macronutrients while the regular is only micros. They suggest using the + for lightly stocked tanks and the regular for well stocked ones.

You can take a look here for more in depth info Tropica

Im sure lighting upgrade and the introduction of Co2 wont be far around the corner, who knows, one day I may tackle the EI method

Almost everyone does lol.

Since you have low light and a nutrient rich substrate then you can rely on the substrate to fertilise your plants for a little bit so a basic fert will do, i wouldn't spend a lot on seachem or TPN although they are very good. Try using tetra plantamin and dose weekly (daily better but it may not be suitable for your equipment levels, someone may need to expand further on this)

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=1553

Sera Florena is a pretty good plant food.
Laterite can be rolled into little balls and these can be placed under the plants.

I didnt get laterite in the end (too impatient) but I used sand and got some API root tabs :) also got the Kent Freshwater Plant Starter Kit so hope it all goes to plan.

Whats everyones opinion on getting riccia to grow in my tank? I know it does best with high lighting and CO2 but would I stand a chance?

Cheers

PS: This is how it looks now, sorry about the picture quality.

Edited.jpg

Looks ike a nice tank, you may just get away with growwing riccia as a surface plant but it would be a risk. It also needs CO2

Chers aaronnorth, ill give it a miss untill I move onto high tech :) I really only want it as a carpet effect.

I may do thanks, think ill see how this turns out first :) dont suppose you've heard anything about that Kent Freshwater Plant Starter Kit have you? Sounded alright but ive got limited experience in the area.

I have just googled it and it seems ok, it covers the trace elements which is important, how about going with Seachem flourish which is known to be a good fert aswell as Tropica plant nutrition (TPN) or TPN+

TPN is reccomended for high fish loads

TPN+ is reccomended for low fish loads as it contains N&P

You could dose daily which will be even better for your plants and minimizes algae as the plants use up all the avialable nutrients so there is no excess, for TPN dose 1ml for every 20l of water. (approx) up this or lower it depending on algae & plant growth etc.

I dose 2.5ml in my 60l, i lowered it from 3ml because it is a low maintenance (slow growing plants) i got great results with this since switching from nutrafin plant gro.

Thanks for all the advice, all duely noted :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back