Ellie Potts
Fishaholic
It's been a long time since I've had a fish tank with live plants, and I'd really like this next one to be planted. The tank will have 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 killifish, 10 neon tetra, 2 african dwarf frogs, and maybe some cherry shrimp. pH will be around 7 and temp will be about 77 degrees F. I'm thinking about water wisteria, java moss, amazon sword plants, and some marimo moss balls but am definitely open to other suggestions. LED lights will be on during the day and off at night. Should I be fertilizing the water or substrate? Is there anything else I need to add to the water? I'd like to have black sand as a substrate; will that be a problem? I'm planning on using these plants to help cycle the tank.
Black sand should work fine. I would start with just a few fish and add to the tank as you test for ammonia. I took several weeks to add my fish in small shoals. I would add the neon tetra last they are more sensitive to changes in water chemistry than the others. In fact I advise waiting until you tank is stabilized which can take up to 6 months. I lost several adding them to soon. Good luck







