Ferrets

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrisbassist

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Who here has owned ferrets?

Any advice? Once we get our own place, me and the wife are looking at a ferret. Always had cats, wife has always had a dog, she also had some albino rats for a while. So we're not entirely new to these kinds of pets but haven't specifically had ferrets before.

Tips?

Who here has owned ferrets?

Any advice? Once we get our own place, me and the wife are looking at a ferret. Always had cats, wife has always had a dog, she also had some albino rats for a while. So we're not entirely new to these kinds of pets but haven't specifically had ferrets before.

Tips?

I have had ferrets before, it is very similar to keeping a rat only they are bigger, well longer, and there is a very noticeable smell but you do get used to it. They CAN have a nasty bite but with plenty of handling they will be fine, they are more likely to nip rather than bite mainly, we have found, because they are startled or picked up in a way that they dont feel safe. But it is soooo much fun playing with one and they can be kept outside aswell as indoors, they are briliant escape artists though, my sister has put some padlocks on her ferret's run outside. And they LOVE to climb. There are plenty of books about keeping ferrets, the best one we have found is ferrets for dummies. They are brilliant pets for kids to as they are very hardy and quite large and with plenty of handling will even lick things like jam/butter off their fingers.
If you have any other questions pm me and ill try to help you or there might be others on here who can to. Good luck!!!!

I was hoping to do some heavy training. Get rid of the cage and have it house trained. I've read it can be done but is harder than other animals.

Anyone done that?

Wow go for it hope it goes great for you, that was never an option for us cos we had/have dogs that would love to pick a fight with them lol

Just a thought, i dont know if you'd thought of it but it might be worth keeping a small cage open so they/it can retire to it if they want to.

funny enbough I read a book about these the other week after I saw a guy with one down the park, great animals

Oh yeah soo much fun, we used to take one of ours to the beach and she went on holiday with us to :lol:
You'll have to warn your wife to not wear stockings/tights around it or she risks ladders ferrets seem to think that legs that aint bare are for climbing up lol

Yeah, one reason we are waiting. Since mickey (the dog) doesn't take too kindly to other dogs, cats, rabbits, or anything else we've seen, so we'd rather not risk it with him in the same house. Seen a nice looking cage we might get. Just getting as much info as possible in preparation. Plus from what I understand the house will need to be ferret proof, since they'll dig up pot plants, climb things etc...

Already planned a name too.

Swiper. After swiper the fox from dora the explorer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back