Dogs are better than many people:o

bgarthe35 53

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Apr 9, 2026
Messages
347
Reaction score
756
Points
93
Location
Peru, IL USA
My wife and I last summer welcomed our new Collie family member after our Collie of 12 years passed. She is our 5th Collie we’ve had in our 44 years of marriage. Dogs give unconditional love and the last two Collies have (since our daughters have left home) been our four-legged kids. If the majority of people (imho) had the same temperament as dogs did, it would be a better place.

Post some pics of your best friends. After a while, i may post some of my best buddies that are now waiting for me. After all, what is DOG spelled backwards?:wub:

IMG_1043.webp
IMG_3166.webp
IMG_6932.webp
IMG_6941.webp
IMG_7066.webp
IMG_7900.webp
IMG_7912.webp
IMG_7918.webp
IMG_8670.webp
IMG_7851.webp

IMG_6437.webp
 
We start our Pet of the Month contest in mid May. Be sure you enter your awsome doggie in the contest. You will see a banner at the top of the forum when the entry period starts.
 
She's beautiful! A neighbor at our 1st house had a collie named Sheena. We were fence buddies & I would (quietly) sing "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" by the Ramones while we held "hands" & danced lol.

We had a Keeshund rehomed from a friend at that 1st house. We loved her!! But when she died my husband was heartbroken 😢 as was I. We've never had another dog or any other mammal pet. I still think maybe at our next house, but a smaller pet. When our Kees got old, she'd sit down during a walk &, refuse to keep going after a rest. At almost 40lbs, too heavy to carry far.
 
When I was a kid, one of my old Newfoundland Uncles had:
a) the most complex combover ever seen by any human;
b) a fantastic big collie I loved to visit.

The Uncle was a grouch and not much fun, but the dog and I got along just fine.

I'm an absolute dog lover. It's a cool morning with lots of sun here - Spring at last, and I got to feel it walking with the dog at sunrise.
 
Ever Collie I've ever encountered seemed to be a nervous and shy dog. Is that a trait of the breed?
 
I wouldn’t say nervous and shy, but perhaps more….sensitive. My Collies all welcomed people w love, were protective, playful, and affectionate. When, however, they heard a loud stern voice or were rebuked by someone, they seemed easily hurt/bothered. I do suspect that any Collie having been hit might be very apprehensive in the future. I love the fact that they are gentle and sensitive in that they always want to please their owner and desire approval and affection from their master/ mistress.
My last Collie was very much this way. He passed in June of last year.:(
IMG_1966.webp
IMG_1961.webp
IMG_1958.webpIMG_1962.webpIMG_1976.webpIMG_1974.webpIMG_1977.webpIMG_1956.webp
 
I still miss my 15 year old cream golden rescue who died 4 years ago. We adopted her as a wreck of a dog when she was turning nine, and that was a wise decision on our part. Dogs are great companions, and we connect with them. Our current "puppy" is now a 75 pound, 3 year old - a puppy no more.

This is my great buddy Mabel, a good dog but not for talking fish with.
mabel sept2325.webp
 
My daughter has one of these, like Mabel, but a boy. They are grrreat dogs. Talk about loving…. :wub:
 
My dogs are/have been Cub fans, but I’ll forgive your buddy for being a Philly fan….bc he’s a dog.:)
IMG_1992.webp
 
Funny Story, every time he gets this “favorite” one on, our Team goes to shambles… Time to put another one on, Wife and I can’t take the losses anymore this week, we are “sad”! Good luck my friend!
⚾️⚾️
Ed
 
Thanks……being a Cub fan since the 60’s means I’ll need the luck. 2016 was awesome…..hopefully it won’t be another 108 years before they win another World Series. :rolleyes:
 
Hey, you guys have it easy. My dog and I are Expos fans, and that has a ghostlike feel to it.
 
My first dog ever was a Collie and I still miss her even though she died in 1969 . She was the smartest dog I’ve ever known . Somebody trained her before I got her and they did a great job of it .
I’ve had many dogs over the years and loved them all but now after last summer when I was attacked and mauled by a pitbull and and a rogue Labrador and had stitches and a broken wrist because of it I don’t like dogs at all very much . I’ve tried to feel differently and tried reasoning that it was just a freak thing but I get nervous and scared now when I see dogs . Barking dogs send chills over me . The way I figure it is dogs are just less wild wolves and that they’d kill us and eat us if they got hungry enough . Looking at cats I kinda think that we’re lucky they’re small . They would kill us and eat us too just like a tiger or a lion .
So , I’m glad you all like your dogs but keep them away from me .
 
Sorry to hear about your ordeal last summer. Generally, though …..such attacks (sadly imho) are more of a reflection on how they’ve been treated by man as opposed to being just mean.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top