Ferg's Planted Journal

Ferg1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello,

I thought I'd start a journal seeing as my 425 litre tank is fully Tropical now and well, I'm hoping after one setback of putting in non-aquatic plants I'm now on the right path to having a nice, planted aquarium :hyper:

Here is the tank (for those who havn't seen it on other threads in the forum).

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

The tank dimensions are 150 x 45 x 60. Current residents are 3 Angels, 7 Red Eye Tetra and 6 Peppered Cory.
I have one 42" 38w (I think) tropical T5, with another Plant Pro one on the way.. using liquid ferts and have a C02 cannister.

Currently I know there are a few Amazon swords (not sure which specifically) some Twisted Vallis, Dwarf Anubias and not sure what the small-leafy plant is near the middle of the tank, but its thriving.

I have these plants on the way:

2 x Lilaeopsis Novea-Zeelandiae
2 x Hygrophila polysperma
1 x Echinodorus Harbii Rosa
1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
1 x Pogostemon Helferi
1 x Alternanthera Reineckii / Telanthera, Rosaefolia
2 x Hydrocotyle Leucocephala / Pennywort
2 x Bacopa Caroliniana / Giant Bacopa, Blue water Hyssop
2 x Bacopa Monnieri / Dwarf Bacopa / Baby Tears

I'm drawing a plan of where I'm going to put these plants and the effect I'm trying to acheive, should be able to put it up tomorrow night.

T5 came today (it is a Arcadia 34", 39W Plant Pro), along with my (what actually is) a T8 tropical 42" (can't recall the wattage).

The following have arrived and been planted

2 x Lilaeopsis Novea-Zeelandiae
1 x Echinodorus Harbii Rosa
1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
1 x Pogostemon Helferi

Still waiting for the rest :crazy: fingers crossed the plants take hold!

I am hoping the remaining plants will either arrive tomorrow or Tuesday.

-The Alternanthera Reineckii (Rosaefolia) will likely go behind the Vallis on the left (under the heater)
-The 2 x Bacopa Caroliniana and 2 x Bacopa Monnieri will go amongst and behind the two root ornaments on the right, to make it a little more dense and encourage the small fish to explore amongst them more.
-The 2 x Hydrocotyle Leucocephala will likely go at either end of the tank in the back corners, or would the two filter outlets be too powerful for it and destroy it? If so I'll have them both in the right corner to cover up tubes etc.

The other plants all seem settled, I'm sceptical about the Hygrophila polysperma but it really is eye catching, I find myself drawn to it all the time, the pink is immense under the T5. The Wendtii's aren't visible in the pictures but there is one either end of the tank behind the foreground rocks, I'm hoping they'll create some little canopies over the rocks in time and encourage the fish to shoal up at the front under them.

Other than that for now no noticeable problems othe than the leaves that had gone brown before the T5 had arrived. I've started dosing liquid ferts daily now rather than a weekly dose, not doing a full dosage for now as it would seem a waste given the volume of tank to plant density.

10 Serpae tetras added yesterday too, they really add some vibrancy to the tank and are spending the best part of the day shoaling up and down, they look great. I am hoping they'll get some Black Widows or Phantoms in soon as its them I wanted originally, along with adding to the Red Eye shoal. They had some Golden Rams in but no Bolivians, so not sure if should go for those instead but I'd prefer BR's.

So nearly 3 months on from the last picture and well, it looks a mess :angry:

Next year when I have the money I'm going to have to redo the plants. I am thinking of getting a second T5 plant pro, because perhaps there is a lack of light across the entire tank. Secondly, I think the main problem is a lack of Co2 (as I've got a cheap aerosol in one corner that doesn't seem to do anything).

I'm annoyed at how many plants have died, especially given I went for low-maintanance plants. The main shock was my E densa rotting to nothing, especially as it had survived being in a colwater tank with no lighting at all! :sad: My valias all died, my amazon swords are barely surviving. Infact the only thing that is thriving is the crypts and the java fern (and the grasses).

I am tempted to just buy some plastic plants to go at the back and fill the front out with crypts as these seem happy in the tank conditions - its not quite the tank aquascape I had dreamed of but I suppose if you don't get it right at the start you never will :grr:

Do you have anything in the substrate? Swords are hungry root feeders, if you havent, that could be why they arent doing well. I personally would make the substrate a bit deeper too, mainly in the heavier planted areas.

It can be what you dreamed of and more. Just persevere, experiment with plant types until you find the ones that work for you, and you will soon have your dream tank

This is how it is at present:

DSC_0692.jpg

Some plants have done well, the same ones keep struggling (and they're low tech ones too!) I'm going an aquatics in Manchester tomorrow morning to have a gander, but I'll see what they've got there to help my plants. I was considering the Seachem root tablets, mainly because I hear they are suited to root hungry plants such as swords and crypts.

Here is my post from the picture thread (save me going over the same thing)

The only element of the tank I like is the way the crypts and java fern have completely suffocated the smallest of the fake ornaments and created this mound of foilage. It looks like it is set to gain a new dimension with the Pennywort finally bulking up at the base (though that can't be seen on the image(s)).
I think the problem has always been the ornament to the left, whilst I do like it it takes up a lot of space and creates a lot of dead space where plants could be. Also, I just think the whole setup looks ill-thought - which probably explains why my success with the plants has been so hit and miss.

So, I've been musing over ideas for a couple of days now as to what to do (well, when I can afford to!)..

- First thing, take everything out (bar the two right ornaments and surrounding plants, and the main central plant which name always escapes me!).
- Left ornament to become central feature of the 65 litre tank, a bit bulky but I think the barbs/corys and CAE will appreciate the security it'll provide.

- Fish temporarily housed whilst I add a lot more sand/substrate, there was never enough in the first place but inpatience got the better of me.
- Going to buy duplicate of the two remaining ornaments to mirror across on the left-hand side. Furthermore, bulk up on the java fern or any other suitable plants to cling/fill the larger ornaments to extend the foilage coverage - along with more crypts etc around the base.
- More large rocks, perhaps built up a bit of a mound with them too.
- Some substantially sized pieces of bogwood, to create some height.

Hopefully by then it'll have some height and depth, cover the heaters and background image and encourage the fish to swim around more (because they spend all their time on the right of the tank amongst the plants). Then, to the second issue... all that water, and hardly any fish!!

Current residents are:

- 3 Angelfish, 8 Serpae Tetra, 6 Red Eye Tetra and 5 Black Widows.

I'm hoping to eventually end up with:

- OPTION 1: 3 Angelfish, 1 pair of Bolivian Rams, 12 Red Eye Tetra, 8 Serpae Tetra, 8 Rosey Tetra, 8 Black Phantom Tetra, 8 Black Widow Tetra.
- OPTION 2: 3 Angelfish, 1 Pair of Bolivian Rams, 12 Red Eye Tetra, 8 Serpae Tetra, 8 Black Widow Tetra, 12 Rummy Nose Tetra.
- OPTION 3: 3 Angelfish, 10 Red Eye Tetra, 8 Serpae Tetra, 8 Black Widow Tetra, 20 Cardinal Tetra.

But that was the other night, and now I'm sat on here staring at the tank and thinking I don't know what to do with it. I don't think the above plans would work if I applied them to one side of the tank, but I'm scared to disturb the crypts and java fern whilst its all grown into each other and looking dense and healthy. I think I'll get some more sand, sort that side of the tank and attempt to plant something in there again to fill the corners, if that doesn't work - a full aquascape.

No, I lost that ages ago. This is a 'Alternanthera Reineckii / Telanthera, Rosaefolia' - Amazed how this one is doing so well and yet some others, like the swords, are struggling.

This weekend will hopefully see the transformation begin in my main tank :hyper: Decided to take my time with it so that I'm not wasting money if it goes wrong, and so I can ammend it as I go on (not that it is going to be anything drastic). I've just ordered an extra 12kg of fine sand to add to what is in, finally get it bulked up to a suitable level for the plants. Furthermore, these two items are heading my way :fun:

bogwood.jpg

I think I'll get another one or two pieces after these have come (if there's enough room in my tank) all depends if I get rid of the resin logs or cover them with plants to hide them. Not sure on plants yet, but I'm thinking broad leaf varieties, Anubias mainly, something that will stay low to the substrate to frame the base of the wood and then some Amazons (if I can keep them alive!) behind along with the existing Valias. I've ordered some root tablets too (for the swords) to see if that'll help (no harm in trying).

Roll on the weekend. Hope to have it re-aquascaped (minus plants) by Saturday, and add (some of) the new fish on the Sunday

Those are really nice pieces of wood and they're going to look great in your tank!

I can't wait to see more progress.

For stocking, I think you should go with Option 2:
"OPTION 2: 3 Angelfish, 1 Pair of Bolivian Rams, 12 Red Eye Tetra, 8 Serpae Tetra, 8 Black Widow Tetra, 12 Rummy Nose Tetra."

My sand and wood has arrived!! :hyper: Here's to a busy day of running upstairs and downstairs sorting out both tanks (nothing new there then!) The wood is awesome, a little smaller than I'd pictured but then I wasn't wanting anything overbearing or bulky - my main dilemma now is, how to position them! :crazy:

The general idea is that I'll rescape the left side and when I've the money I'll buy two or three more pieces of this wood so that I have a strong, coherant aquascape. For now though it will be a half and half looking tank I imagine but.. least it gives me more time to play around with the look of it.

So yes, this dilemma. Do I go for the wood like this?

DSC_0724.jpg

...or this?

DSC_0727.jpg

The first is as if they're dancing (over active imagination at work!) the second is more like parent and child, why am I personifying pieces of wood?!!! haha. They do seem to be interacting either way though - cannot wait to get them in and some plants nestled around them. Perhaps the first is nicer?? It seems a little more expansive and a little bit of fanfare - plus it gives ample room around the back of them to put taller background plants such as the Pennywort which will grow around it but not overcrowd it. The second (to me) looks more natural though, I suppose the only way of knowing is when they're both in the tank, afterall the magnifaction may give a whole new set of viewing angles yet again.

Most reactions

Back