Females guppies issues help

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

tbq

Reaction score
hi,

i just started with a small tank. i bought 5 guppies, 2 males and 3 females. i have one them, the biggest female, very often alone, either at the bery bottom or top at the surface alone. move very few, does not look like eating much. breathing seems normalā€¦ i dont know whatā€™s wrong šŸ˜„

i noticed when ever i turned off the light she is moving a little bit more. wondering if it js stress due to lighting or something else ?

i dont think i have oxygen issue, still very few fish, waterfall is moving water a lot, lots of plants.

attached is a pic, thank you for your help and suggestion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 26
How are your tank parameters?

Please, post the pH, temperature (also the heater used), as well as ammonia and nitrite levels, filter used, lighting, tank size, and substrate used.

If possible, try to make a short video of this guppy.

i dont have the tank parametersā€¦ im no pro just very beginner. i will go to buy today some.

i have a small 5G tank, i use the built in filter and lighting. looks good to me, i adjust the height of the water fall so they have more water movement. i have 4 plants. i used the cycled and aqua plus product as explained in the manual.

my temp strip is saying 20-18Celsus

i dont know how to attzch video, it let attach pictures only.

i took another picture. there is a second female now konda behaving the same.

my two males guppies seem very active i read somewhere they can exhausted from males ? my ratio is 2 males 3 females.

thanks a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 16
Indeed, the temperature's low for guppies. Try maintaining around 25-28 ĀŗC.

What's the flow rate of the filter? Do you use any biological media?

filter flow is good, no particular mass of biological waste if that's what you meant.
I did not know the temp is no good, i thought 20 is good. Anyway could I confirm this before buying a heater ?

update: so the one in my previous pic died this morning :( a second female seems to start showing same signā€¦ i dont know whats wrong. :(
but it affects females guppies firstā€¦ my two males a re very active.
i will buy a heater today but my guts are telling something else is wrong

please help

Ok So just to update and hopfully close this topic for beginner:
- I bought heater and it makes a whole difference. it seems to fix the issue with the females and all fish seems to be more active at 79F temp.
- I added more guppies females so the ratio 3-1 is correct.

Buy a heater, even for guppies and easy fish. they need it. fingers crossed they keep being healthy and thrive now.

Ok So just to update and hopfully close this topic for beginner:
- I bought heater and it makes a whole difference. it seems to fix the issue with the females and all fish seems to be more active at 79F temp.
- I added more guppies females so the ratio 3-1 is correct.

Buy a heater, even for guppies and easy fish. they need it. fingers crossed they keep being healthy and thrive now.
Indeed, the temperature's low for guppies. Try maintaining around 25-28 ĀŗC.
To be honest, guppies (and I mean fancy guppies) can have lower temperatures. For I'm doing that for almost 5 decades. And I breed and keep healthy guppies all these years. But the if guppies are kept at higher temperatures and suddenly at lower temperatures, there could be a problem. If they got used to lower temperatures over a number of days by lowering gradually, there's no problem. It's the sudden change that certain guppies can not bare. But believe me, guppies can be kept at lower temperatures if you do it right. Short finned guppies and wild guppies are having a better temperature tolerance by themselves in comparison to long finned guppies. But again, also long finned guppies can be adjusted to lower temperatures but gradually. If you don't do it like this, then for sure the problem you had, will occur.

Well, I don't know what the climate conditions are where you live, but here in Brazil, the guppies do better in tropical temperatures. Probably there're strain preferences by country/region, even under the same species.

im in canadaā€¦ there is a lot of huge temp variationā€¦ even in the house due to heating.

To be honest, guppies (and I mean fancy guppies) can have lower temperatures. For I'm doing that for almost 5 decades. And I breed and keep healthy guppies all these years. But the if guppies are kept at higher temperatures and suddenly at lower temperatures, there could be a problem. If they got used to lower temperatures over a number of days by lowering gradually, there's no problem. It's the sudden change that certain guppies can not bare. But believe me, guppies can be kept at lower temperatures if you do it right. Short finned guppies and wild guppies are having a better temperature tolerance by themselves in comparison to long finned guppies. But again, also long finned guppies can be adjusted to lower temperatures but gradually. If you don't do it like this, then for sure the problem you had, will occur.
you are most probably right. I also believe thry can live at lower temp. some of them did acclimate well. it was just the 2 females from my first batch. the temp shock may have been the issue.

Well, I don't know what the climate conditions are where you live, but here in Brazil, the guppies do better in tropical temperatures. Probably there're strain preferences by country/region, even under the same species.
You're not wrong. It works absolutely at higher temperatures. But they can also live at lower temperatures. At higher temperatures, they grow faster but are running faster through their lifespan. That's one of the differences when kept at higher temperatures, And that's normal. At lower temperatures they grow slower but are also stronger. Not that guppies which are kept at higher rates aren't healthy. They are healthy and strong but not as strong as guppies that are raised at lower temperatures. That's the main difference.

Most reactions

Back